I have had eczema my whole life.  It is quit severe, but usually gets better for periods of time followed by very bad outbreaks.  In the last year I have noticed these outbreaks are much more severe, I am breaking out on my chest, stomach, ears, face, neck...places I normally don't break out. When my skin is bad I have noticed I smell like bread.  My actual skin itself smells like bread.  Earlier this summer I had strep throat and took antibiotics for that, which caused an outbreak, which is normal, but the outbreak was very severe, so later in the summer I went to the doctor and got a steroid shot which I had adverse reactions to, vaginal yeast infection, moodiness, extreme sensitivity to alcohol, an infection in one ear and my thumb.  My eczema did not completely go away, but seemed to move into my ear canal, belly button, and my entire legs where I generally don't break out.  I ended up having to take antibiotics for my thumb, and this has sent me into another outbreak even more severe. I should point out I have had allergy testing and know that I am allergic to dust mites, fungus, yeast,corn, many trees, pollens, and animals.  I surrvived childhood with this condition and even being a teenage girl with it, but now I am 31 years old and tired of being embarassed of my skin!!

I feel your pain. Am 42 and a long term survivor of severe eczema. I don't know if I can keep going like this. Have had so many troubles from antibiotics and steroids and now feel so lost with minimal treatment options. Am on the verge of giving up but seeing others survive this gives me some strength...

Has anyone ever been tested for Celiac disease?  One adverse side effect of Celiac disease is the skin form instead of the internal form, it's the dermatitis and will not go away (presents like eczema) until on a strict gluten-free diet.  I bet that on a gluten-free diet that everyone's skin would clear up very soon - I know people who have done mostly gluten-free for rosecea, scalp conditions, and fibromyalgia, etc.  Worth a shot to talk to your doctor about as the test for Celiac is a simple blood test to start with.

Hope this helps