I am a 25 year old female and have a problem with my index fingers and thumbs on both hands for about 6 months now. Ocassionally I will get hard small circles on the tips and sides of only those 4 fingers. It doesn't spread to other fingers or anywhere else on the body, and they are never blisters or raised at all, if anything they are concave. It also does not itch. It feels like my finger/thumbs are numb but it is really just the thickened skin in the circles limiting the sensation. After a few days the white, hard circles will expand and eventually peel back starting at the very center. It will keep peeling until the cylce is done no matter how much lotion I do/do not put on, although lotion does make the peeled areas less likely to crack and bleed. The fresh, thin under skin then exposed is very sensitive. Last time it happened I starting taking Bioton supplements, a multi-vitamin and using Aveno intense therapy lotion for sensitive skin. I haven't had a break out till recently when I lacked a bit on following that routine. Don't know if it's coincidence or not, hope it helps. And if anyone finds out or knows what this condition is called please let me know! Thanks!

Cold, dry air can cause dry skin, peeling, and even cracking and bleeding of the fingertips. Washing dishes without wearing gloves can put hands and fingers in contact with harsh detergents that can cause fingers to peel. Soaps and lotions that contain perfume can cause hands and fingertips to become irritated and peel. Peeling fingertips can also be associated with certain infections, reactions to medications and, rarely, potentially serious medical conditions. People with psoriasis get this too. You should wash your hands with an unscented soap. Use an unscented moisturizer after drying your hands. Avoid trauma to your fingertips. Wear gloves when washing dishes. But if it continues contact your dermatologist.

I recently found patches of hard skin on my finger pads too. This has never happened to me before, they start out as red and swollen patches then harden I think. Perhaps they will start peeing soon :(

I have been trying to find out what the cure for this is. I am a 55 yr old female and have had this problem for 3 years and it follows the exact same cycle. Only the index and thumb involved... loss of sensation as if I have dipped them in thin wax then small circles are the sign that the skin in starting to slough off like a snake but only from the nail to the first knuckle. No amount of cream helps. There is no itching or blistering (eliminated dematalogical issues). It may be what appears to be some kind of contact irritation. I have used non rubber gloves, no change, used gloves for golf thinking it might be gripping the rubber too hard...used chemical free products on my hair etc.

No change. Regular hand cream at night....no change...eventually the skin just does not want to stay!

I have come to the conclusion that it might be turning paper pages at work? Maybe the chemicals in the paper or print have changed as this is the only time I constantly use thumb and index finger together? I have thought about using a barrier cream to see if this helps.

If anyone has any ideas please reply.

I have had this same problem for over 10 years and have tried everything but nothing has helped. My thumb and index finger goes numb on the tip, my nail feels like its been jammed in a door or something then the skin peels off down to the knuckle, the new skin underneath is red raw and sore for weeks after wards. Im at my wits end and my fingers always feel really sore and tender.

Sound like exactly what happens to my hands a few times a year. Tried all sorts of lotions and OTC creams for psoriasis ad eczema with no positive results. Just the same cyclical hardening and peeling. It doesn't hurt or anything but it's very annoying and unappealing. If anyone has a solution, please share! Thanks. Mike

FRANKINCENSE essential oil, mixed with a hand lotion has totally releived this problem for me. The dermatologist recommended athlete's foot cream, then cortisone cream, all to no avail - I would get dry circles on the upper fingers and near the nail that would peel for days. I would wear band-aids to cover them till they healed weeks later. The process would repeat every few weeks. The frankincense oil worked immediately. Just use it every day.

Yeah, this has been maddening, skin thickening and peeling on my thumb and index fingers for over a year now.  I've tried a bunch of stuff, anti fungal, cortizone, skin protectant, nail polish, it never really got better.   I'm thinking it's started from an injury on the fingertips, and really must be some kind of other infection.  I recently cut the tip of my middle finger on the other hand, and it started to develop there, too!

I don't buy the eczema theory - why just on my finger tips?

What I am trying right now is on the infection route.   I'm soaking the finger tips in hydrogen peroxide, thinking the infection is deep in a few layers of skin.   Then drying them, covering with vaseline, using a rubber glove at night to keep the vaseline on.  

So far, I have seen great improvement.   The skin is still a little dry, but once it finished peeling from the initial episode, it's not really peeling like before.  I'm thinking that if I can just keep this outer layer of dryer skin on until the skin underneath gets healed / stronger, it will be cured. 

I work / garden a lot with my hands.  Thinking the infection route, I've sanitized my gardening / work gloves, too.

I'm pretty hopeful - and optimistic!!   It's been driving me crazy!! 

I also have this problem for many years, along with some other kind of red patch NON-ITCHY dermatitis--since I was a teenager. Since there is no cure, I suspect it is a virus. So touching anything in public will put you at risk. The doctors just don't want to scare the public.

hi,i have raynards,im told my odd circles of peeling is due to poor circulation and told good old vasaline,read all ur post and have to say after 5 years and  trying the above i also find nothing helps, i cant do reflexology now which was my job ,finally going to see dermatolagist via gp and had to fight for that,they said it was scermaderma but i was told by london hospital that looking at my nails its not, i will say i have pitted nails with lines on them which is said to be due to auto amune sytstem,so look at ur nails folks ,may be due to that,il keep yah posted x

i have round circles on my finger tips too but they dont peel or stay in the same spot and they come and go i have had these now for around 4 years and they wont go ?

ARGH! same problem here. but it's just on the index fingers, so i guess i'm luckier than you are. all of your details match up with mine. hard, peeling, white, concave, numb... i'm still in high school, and i've had it since i was in the second grade. it's very annoying, and i somehow have to keep touching it, not really itch. it can occasionally hurt as well. i've had the problem for about eight years now. at first, i only really had it with my right index, but over time, it spread to the left. i've tried to find what the condition is as well, but no luck. it's good to know i'm not alone here. 

I have the exact same thing. EXACTLY. The skin gets a sensation that of "sounds crazy" but like when a candle burns and if you put your fingertip in the melted warm wax like you can peel it off, but when you do peel it off, it burns underneath as if the skin isn't dead.

I have numbness in my fingers and all i can suggest is that it's poor circulation. I am going to the health food store and try something for circulation.

HOPEFULLY IT WILL WORK.

My thumb is raw and cracked as i'm typing this, very frustrating!!!!

I have had this on my thumb for 3 years. Hardened, round spot that I can not leave alone so I peel the skin, leaving a bleeding patch with cracked skin and super sensitive to heat or cold.Every time I pick it, I regret it as it hurts so bad but I keep being drawn to it.The Dr didn't know what it was..said to try wart removal stuff.I researched it and all my symptoms are pointing to scleroderma...pretty scary as I have most of the symptoms, shortness of breath, pain in joints, bloating and multiple other issues.

Found info here..

I am a 55 year old female.

I have the exact problem and went to my dermatologist.  She did a skin culture and said that it's a form of psoriasis that tends to attack the area of the hand that gets a lot of use.  It can also affect the feet.  It's usually hereditary.  It may go away for a while and then return.  Psoriasis is hard to treat and what works for one person may not work for another.  I haven't found anything that works for me yet.  If you look up the symptoms of psoriasis, it does make sense.  I do a lot of crafts and sewing and the parts of the fingers that I use on both hands seems to get the redness, swelling, and peeling the most.  And, of course,if you have it on the soles of your feet, that gets a lot of wear and tear, too.