Hi, I am 34 years female. IBS is giving me such a hard time! I have gas, bloating and very painful stomach cramping, especially after meal. I don’t know how to fight it, please help!

Hi, I also have IBS with cramping. It can be very unpleasant and painful. I have stomach cramps because of the gas and bloating. I guess those gas are blocked in my left side of colon and push the other parts of intestines. Sometimes, I have an urge for the bowel movement, but I can do it because of the pain. Then I just sit and wait for it to go away. Once, I almost fainted. It leads to constipation and similar problems. I tried some herbs like anise and fennel, but they didn’t help much. IBS and stomach cramping are even worse than my menstrual cramps.

I've had the same symptoms as you off and on since I was born (I'm 41), doctors couldn't figure it out. I had a diagnosis of IBS for 20 years. It seems that doctors use IBS as a catch-all diagnosis when they can't figure out what is really wrong. I came upon an article that described my symptoms and it suggested Celiac disease. I got tested (a simple blood test), and sure enough I had Celiac. The only cure for Celiac is a strict gluten free diet. I'm feeling much better now that I follow this diet. There are many websites that can help in the area of diet and medical info. I found that you find out more from reading personal accounts of folks with celiac and also naturopathy websites than medical associations. Gluten is a protein found in wheat and several other grains, and is used in many processed foods as well as the obvious breads, cereals and pasta. Celiac is described as an auto-immune disease, but I beg to differ. Although your body certainly reacts with an auto-immune response, I feel Celiac is not an outright immune disease, but rather the body has a systemic reaction to a poison (gluten), since gluten is a "neurotoxin" which most celiac info sites fail to mention. This poison affects everyone's health, but we happen to be a little more sensitive to gluten than the rest of the population. 70% of people with celiac don't have a single symptom. Please bear with me, just a little more important info here. This poison effects every cell, every organ, every system in the body from your brain to your toenails and everything in between. Messes up your pancreas, and what do you get? Insulin resistance, then obesity and diabetes. There are other similar system failures in your body. The list goes on and on, leads to other horrible diseases and you end up a very sick person unless you follow a gluten free diet. Gluten causes obesity by making you crave (uncontrollably) more of the same foods that give you celiac. The food companies know this, but this is not likely something they would ever admit. The medical community suggests that 1 in 150 people have celiac, but when you really start researching, it is estimated that 1 in 10 people have gluten intolerance...that is not a disease, that's systematic poisoning of an entire nation, based on nothing more than corporate greed. Getting tested is critical. It can take as long as 10 years to get diagnosed properly unless you know exactly what to do as family doctors don't know too much about Celiac, they think it is strictly a stomach problem. By which time gluten has done a lot of damage. Before you get tested, you MUST have enough gluten in your system in order that the anti-gliadin(Protein) antibodies show up in the blood test. To do this you must eat the equivalent of at least 2 slices of bread every day for a minimum of 6 weeks. I would suggest more, 8 weeks with at least 2 slices of bread every day plus extra gluten such as bagels, pasta, donuts, cookies, or any other of the myriad of gluten filled foods just to make sure that the blood test will catch it. Last tip, to stay healthy and not at risk for cancers and other awful diseases, keep your system more alkaline than acid, a qualified naturopath can help you better with this than a traditional doctor. Medical doctors are way...way behind in real nutrition. Hope this helps.

Warmly,
Sovee

I also have been diagnosed with IBS. Do the gluten test cause that could be a possible culprit. Also make sure you are not lactose intolerant--drink two glasses of whole milk and if you are --you will be all gasy and bloated and have diarrhea. If thats the problem cut out all milk products including yogurts. take calcium supplements. Do you have constipation IBS or Diarrhea . I have constipation IBS which has now given me internal and external hemorrhoids. I have increased my fiber intake but this should be done gradually since large amounts of fiber take too soon causes more gas. Sometimes I have so much gas that one can massage me for about 3-4 hours and all i do is burp it out. Also the gas pain moves constantly. Be careful the type of medication you are given cause i was given lactose which is a form of sugar to help me have normal bowel movements --it made me very gasy although i was normal for about 6 months than my body became accustom to it and now Im worst than i was before. Ask the doctor can my body become accustom to this drug in that it doesnt have the same affect anymore. I hope i was a bit helpful if you have any suggestion for me that would be great.

I am 20 years old. I also have IBS since the age of 7 years old and i really hate it i feel like i have pain in the below area of my stomach and then it starts to go to the right side and then the middle and then the left and then it really hurts i sweat and strain and feel the pain. I just take Buscopan which is a pain killer which helps me sometimes just to get the pain away. When i have loose moition i take Diareze Diarrhoea relief loperamide Hydrochloride 2 mg capsules there are 12 tablets in the box. You can get it from BOOTS in the UK. I am just tired of having this IBS disease. Sometimes i actually feel really weak and feel dizzy because of the pain and sometimes i feel so dehidrated i feel that i am going to fall down. Please someone find a cure for this IBS. Everything i eat i am always in the toilet.

Hi there,

I think you have celiac. Your history is exactly like mine. They told me I had IBS too which is just a blanket statement for when they can't figure out what the real problem is. I was finally diagnosed when I was 36 years old and sadly there was alot of damage. It is a simple blood test, but not enough doctors know of the symptoms or that 70 percent of celiacs don't even have symptoms. It may be a struggle to get diagnosed, but insist to your doctor to get the test. If you get the test make sure you have been eating gluten for at least 6-8 weeks before so the antibodies show up in the blood. the bad news is that the cure can be difficult. The good news is that there is a cure. A totally gluten free diet. Please educate yourself. Start with a book called "Dangerous Grains". A gluten free diet is recommended for anyone with stomach disorders like IBS, crohns, colitis, celiac. Good luck dear and fight for your health.

Laila Willgren
Brantford, Ontario, Canada

HI, you guys, I am so happy to read about you people. I have left side gas or spasms, and they bother the heck out of me. My daughter, gave me a book, called "IBS for dummies', it is very good , don't care for the recipies, but the info is good. She also gave me a recipie book for chohns and Coloitis. ALthough I have IBS, I love the recipes in this book. Love having my blueberry muffins. I am 77, and have had cancer and I wear a defibrillator.  I hate IBS most of all