Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me something about celiac disease. You see a doctor has told me that my son probably has this condition. My son is four years old. He is smaller than the rest of the children his age and he is always pale. I was very concerned about his condition, so I took him to a doctor who told me the possible cause for my son's problems. The doctor said that he will have to do a blood test to make a conclusive diagnosis. Do you know how a celiac disease can be identified through a blood test?

Hi, I was in the similar situation five years ago when I was diagnosed with celiac disease. I had just given birth to my daughter when a rash appeared on my elbows. I went to see a doctor and he said that he needs to do some blood tests and a biopsy of the infected skin. When the results came the doctor said that the rash on my skin is called dermatitis herpetiformis and that is a symptom of celiac disease. He told me that celiac disease is actually a kind of allergy to gluten, a protein that can be found in wheat, rye and barley. I thought that he made a mistake because I never had this kind of rash before. The doctor said that celiac disease can appear at any time especially after a stressful situation such as childbirth. My blood test showed that I had an increased number of antibodies that my immune system produced to fight against gluten molecules. These antibodies also destroy the linen of the small intestine. That is why your son is smaller than the rest of the children; he is not getting enough nutrition from his food. I am now on the gluten-free diet. It took me some time to get used to this diet, but it has helped me a lot. I am sure that your son will feel much better once he is diagnosed and starts to eat gluten-free food.