I am fifteen years old and today is the second day that I have had a vascovagal episode in class. The first time (january) I fainted and today (april) I had the most painfull cramps in my life assosiated with my period. I spent the whole day screaming in the health room. I REALLY must find a way to control these episodes.

Certain medications can help prevent vasovagal syncope. Try not to stand for long periods of time. If you feel like you are about to faint, lie down in a horizontal position and raise your feet so that blood will drain to your brain. For long-term management, you may want to talk to your doctor about the use of a pacemaker.

you might find that birth control is the solution you're looking for. most birth controls lessen menstrual bleeding, therefore decreasing your pain and increasing the bloodflow to the heart and brain (which will mean no passing out). i'd schedule an appointment with your obgyn :-D

I too suffer from them. I have found that taking magnesium, B6 and vitamin E supplements  helps to relieve the severity of the cramps which helps to ward off the pain that triggers the attacks. You may also want to have a salivary adrenal stress index test to look at your cortisol levels. If these are low (often due to a biotin insufficiency) it can contribute to the problem. Better yet if you can afford it find a Dr who is trained in Functional Medicine to help you. It's the best investment I've ever made in my health.  Good luck with it, it's scary when they happen and often misdiagnosed. 

I have experienced vaso vagal syncope in combination with menstrual cramps.  I have found that it happens most often when I have a full bowel and cramps at the same time.  I have been able to control it with Ibuprofen which stops the cramps and therefore stops the syncope. I start taking the Ibuprofen at the first sign of blood. Birth control pills should also have a similar effect.

My daughter has the same thing, a burning stomach ache like nothing she has ever experienced before, followed by her ears ringing and profuse sweating before she faints. Whilst she is out, her heart rate/pulse drop to 40ish bpm and she becomes very pale in colour. She is then extremely floppy for about three quarters of an hour and for the following 3-4 days is so exhausted that she can hardly cope with everyday life. She is 16 and has been suffering with this for just over a year with 6 fainting episodes. By the time we get to hospital, all of her readings are fine and they discharge us almost immediately. It is the stomach ache that signifies what is to come and gives her about half an hour. We have been referred again to a consultant, this time for an echocardiogram.

I take aleve to control vasovagal episodes when I have my period.  I was diagnosed with endometriosis because of the intense pain and because I responded well to birth control pills. I not question that diagnosis and wish that I had just learned to used the aleve properly (1 pill at first twinge of cramping) rather than being on the pill all the time just to control 1 day of symptoms, and mask everything else that was imbalanced about my hormones. 

I found out a few days ago that's what I suffer from too. A pace maker wont help as you pass out because of lack of blood flow to the brain. I have felt this before, but in November I started getting endometriosis symptoms (have endo and possibly adenomyosis) and that is the main cause, I can get pain any time, any day. You might want to see a specialist and ask about endometriosis, adenomyosis, cysts, etc, and birth control can help those greatly as it can help slow the processes and growth. (Anyone can have endometriosis, girls as young as 8 have have terrible cramps from their first period, diagnosed with endo a few years later.)

Must try birth control!!!! I'm 45 and have had this my whole life not knowing what it was. Birth control was difficult for me to take my parents did not want me on it thinking it would make me promiscuous and when I was able to get help privately the birth control made me sick. I went through several when I got older but again side affects and I gave up. I wish I hadn't. They have improved greatly over the years.  I have been on birth control for the last three years for a fibroid. I have not had any syncope issues and very little cramping. They help with acne too another benefit for young people. Please try them. 

I have had this my whole adult life, over 30 years, I've fainted on trains, at work, in classes, in front of a lift, in a hedge, in a park, in a restaurant, in a garveyard, in the street several times. It isn't funny but it sort of is. I have tried every kind of pain killer and had everything investigated to the hilt in Harley Street. I've tried acupuncture, chinese herbs, homeopathy, psychotherapy, conventional painkillers, progesterone, voltarol suppositories, had ultra sound, cancer tests you name it I have done it. Most of the above - forget it, it won't help and it is expensive.

Here's some really practical advice:

The absolute best way to control the episodes is to effectively control the pain first and avoid the cramps which lead to the excrutiating screaming pain and then the fainting, vomiting, sweating etc. The only way I have found to control the pain effectively is to take NSAID (non steroidal, anti inflammatory drugs) from the first twinge on or just before onset of period to around the 3rd day each 8 hours or as frequently as you can safely take the medication. I have tried mefanamic acid (used to be known as Ponstelle in the US and Ponstan in the UK) but actually I have found that 2x200mg ibuprofen (preferably gel caps for fastest absorption) are just as effective and probably safer for stomach lining. I think they work by by suppressing the poduction of prostaglandins. Obviously some people should not take NSAIDs so the advice above should only be taken if you don't have any problems with them.

You MUST EAT food and try not to take these meds on an empty stomach or you'll get a sore stomach for a day or two, and that could be dangerous. You ABSOLUTELY cannot wait until the pain and cramps starts, that's TOO LATE - nothing, not even morphine helps then.

In this way I have mainly reduced the pain and fainting to a minimum most months. I have never had much effective advice from healthcare professionals as I'm not sure that they realise the true horror of this condition. And I don't really believe they know much about preventing or treating it. They normally say "have a baby" or take birth control, well the latter does not work for me, the former is rather a life changing event to undergo to stop this in my opinion!!

If you do get caught on the bathroom floor in agony in the middle of the night I do the following things. Put the radio on a talk radio show and concentrate on it, lay on the floor to avoid falling, try to stay warm, if you can run a warm bath and sit in it (be careful if you are feeling faint - get out, get dry and lay on the floor). I find showering warm water on my abdomen area seems to confuse the cramping nerves sometimes a little and can interrupt it - not always, but worth trying if you're able. Try to go to the loo and empty your system if you get the urge, it'll make the cramp worse in the short term but it'll help stop it quicker overall. Change tampons (if you use them) very frequently.

Be patient and stay calm, eventually the pain will go - it can last a couple of hours but it will stop, when it does it is lovely. Get dry and warm and go to bed or lay down, you'll sleep like a baby.

It's horrible but there are others out there who know, but please don't think there's a miracle cure I don't really believe that there is, but it is manageable - don't give up. I never miss work through this and I have it mainly under control, if you suddenly feel faint in public just tell someone quietly what's going on and get on the floor as discretely as possible. People are pretty understanding in the main. Don't try to fight it (I used to through embarassmenet) but then I would fall and hit my head, knees all sorts that is dangerous.

Good luck I really hope my advice helps, I know it sounds really unlikely that ibuprofen can work but it is how and when it is taken that is the total key.

I've had such episodes for more than 10 years now, with my first fainting at age 16. The ONLY thinkg that works for me besides bith control pills (to which I don't react very well) is a known chinese pain relief oil that I rub on my abdomen during my menstrual cramps. It is made of menthol and eucalyptus oil. It provides an instant penetrating relief to the cramps! The only down side is its strong menthol smell but some people like it. Its trade mark name is KWAN LOONG OIL manufactured by Double Lion. You should be able to find them easily at your local chinatown pharmacy or grocery store.

I started taking birthcontrol pills in my 20's and i fainted many times right before my periodwhile on the pill.The anxiety of fainting followed for so many years that i would get panic attacks when i felt "weird." I was on the pil from 1996 until 2012 when i was diagnosed with 2 blood clots 1 in my brain and 1 in my jugular. I was taken off the pill and luckily have not had a fainting episode since. Im starting to think hormones may play a large role in it but i cant be sure. Doctors seem to rush you along when they cant find any reason and tell you to "stay hydrated". I am 45 now and suffered for years until i got off the birth control pills ...not to mention the risk of blood clots arent worth it. Good Luck everyone.

Try a combined calcium/magnesium supplement with orange juice. It may be difficult on an empty stomach but in a very short time the pain and cramping should stop. Doctors won't tell you this because most of them don't know or could care less. Be mindful to speak with a practitioner that knows how many you can safely take in order for them not to be harmful to organs. It is a MUCH safer alternative to birth control pills. I have all the same symptoms and go through this often and it is the only thing other than acupuncture (which can be very expensive on a tight budget) that helps.

Hi, did you ever find any relief from your symptoms? interested how you are - i know how horrible it is.

Monophasic birthcontrol. Taken straight through to eliminate periods. Trust me. Im 38 and averaged an episode a month. Spent a week in ER getting full range of tests after passing out while driving. Totalled car.