I have been feeling very stressed out at my new job. Sometimes I feel like I can't go on anymore, like my life is out of my control. My best friend told me that I am acting like I have anxiety. I haven't been to the doctor yet, but how can I know if I am ok?

To be sure what is wrong with you, doctor needs to examine you. Only then you would be 100% sure. So, I advise you to go to your doctor as soon as you can. Anxiety can be a normal alarm system that alerts us to danger. But sometimes anxiety can be out of control, giving us a sense of fear for no apparent reason and this kind of anxiety can disrupt our life. Generalized anxiety disorder is worry or fear that isn't related to a particular event or situation. Symptoms include muscle tension, trembling, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, dry mouth, dizziness, nausea, irritability, insomnia, not being able to concentrate etc. Panic disorder is another type of anxiety and it occurs when you have repeated periods of extreme panic, called panic attacks. These panic attacks last about 5 to 30 minutes. If left untreated they can lead to phobias. A phobia is unreasonable fear in response to something specific and it is usually very extreme. Examples of phobia are fear of crowds, bridges, heights, open places or social embarrassment, snakes, spiders etc. A phobia is considered a problem only when it keeps you from living a normal life.