Hello! I am a driver for 12 years now. During past seven months I have trouble driving on a highway. At first I had troubles with breathing as long as I was on highway, and as the time passed time it has been even worse. Besides my difficulty with breathing, I felt racing heartbeat, chest pains and finally dizziness. Because all of this, I started avoiding driving on a highway, but I realize that this is not a solution. What can I do?

First of all, based on symptoms that you have enumerated, I want to say that this is some kind of panic attack that you have during your driving. Probably, you had some kind of trauma that connects you to this irrational fear. There are several solutions for your problem. It could be treated with medicaments, but I want to recommend an effective type of psychotherapy for this disorder. It is called cognitive behavioral therapy and it analyses scary thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that people have that are related to panic. Treatment implies trying to address different areas to help reduce panic.

I have been experiencing panic attacks for 2 years now and mine occur in any type of public situation, at the grocery store, gas stations, movies, restaurants, and especially while driving in heavy traffic, driving more than 45mph and driving over bridges. This makes for a very difficult life. Maybe all of us who suffer from this life altering debilitation can together discover the cause. I believe that in many cases, panic attacks are a physical reaction to a physical problem and not a mental one.

You can check out my blog about panic attacks here:

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed