I think I have a broken right index toe. Went to hospital who just strapped it to my big toe and did no xray. How long will it take before the severe cramping/sharp pain goes? Have tried to drive but too painful. Am on alot of pain medication as am disabled including morphine patches but not taking the pain away.

Seems like forever before it fully heals. I broke my toe to a long while back. All the ER did was tape it to my next door toe, just like you. They gave me Tylenol/codein. Keep it wrapped for about a week, then you can soak it in warm water with some Epsom salts. The swelling hangs around a while and mine turned a ugly black/blue. Eventually i could get a shoe on but couldn't tie it tightly. You may want to get yourself a boot. You can buy them at any department store. They are made out of a stiff material that you secure around your ankle with support on the bottom of it so you can walk.