I AM 27 YEARS OLD AND JUST SAW THE FOOT DOC YESTERDAY. HE TELLS ME A BUNIONECTOMY IS THE ONLY SOLUTION FOR THE PAIN. I HAVE BUNIONS ON BOTH MY RIGHT AND LEFT FOOT. I AM SO READY TO DO THE SURGERY BUT I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD DO ONE OR BOTH! I HAVE 2 SMALL CHILDREN AND A LOVING HUSBAND. I'M JUST NOT SURE IF HE CAN HANDLE HOW INCOMPASITATED I TRULY WILL BE. ANY ADVICE?
THANKS
CAREISA

You are much younger than I am....so our results as far as recuperation might be very different. I had only one foot done (Austin, akin rt. foot, arthroplasty rt. 2nd PIPJ with Fluroro) March 2007
My advise is to do only one foot at a time. It's imperative to elevate and ice your foot for several days...I was prescribed Percocet, which knocks out the e pain but also makes you dizzy and unbalanced. Just going to the bathroom presents a problem.
I'm very indepent, so it was very hard for me to ask my husband to do anything for me but I was forced to.
There are just so many little things like no shower until the sutures sre removed.....I taped a plastice bag on my foot with duct tape until I had a reaction to the tape.....you really need a bench in the shower and a hand held spray. Most important is keep that foot elevated above the waist as much as possible.
Also you're not going to get much rest...sleeping with a surgical shoe on and your foot elevatd isn't very condusive to sleep.
It's now May and I no longer sleep with the shoe but have a ankle walker (ski boot weighs 3#) that I wear most of the time. I can wear a very wide normal stiff shoe for short periods, I do exercises 3X/ day for my toe . I have a ck up next wk and hope I can graduate to a normal wide shoe(still have swelling) for longer periods (the boot also cause swelling). Good Luck....it's turned out to be more than I expected since I'm a very active person.