I had my Bunionectomy almost 3 years ago. It was an Austin type (1 pin) and the Podiatrist said it went very well. The healing and recovery process was long and he forced me to wear shoes and walk on it even though I was still having severe pain after 6 weeks.
I still have severe pain in the joint if any pressure is applied to it. I also have what they are telling me is a growth of bone scarring and it is a rather unsightly and large lump on the top of the joint (under the incision). Luckily (ha ha) I have no feeling in the skin surrounding the incision site. He said that a nerve was severed. There is not a lot of pain associated with the bone scarring, but it is very large, and is getting larger as we speak.
There also is severe stiffnesss in the joint. I have absolutely no ability to bend the toe downwards. My upward range is reduced by 50% or more than it was before the surgery. There is pain (bad enough to bring tears to my eyes) if the slightest thing moves my toe in any direction sideways and downward is enough to bring me to my knees, as is forcing it past the point where it stops normally in the upward motion.
Is this something that I should have fixed? Is there any way to fix it? Is this normal or did something go wrong? I really don't want to have to go through another surgery, the first one and especially it's aftermath were scary enough. Do I have to live with this for the reat of my life, or does anyone know what could have gone wrong?
Any answers or even personal experiences would be of great help to me. Thank you in advance.

Hi there! My mom had bunionectomy and it was also painful even a year after the surgery. From what I have read, many people have post op problems and it seems that this surgery is not such a good option..but what can you do when you have pain before the surgery as well.

Although her doctor everything was working out fine, my mom would have pain after a longer walk and still does sometimes. She sometimes think it was not such a good idea but what is done, it is done.

You case seems to be extreme and you should definitely have it checked again. Honestly, I am not sure if you could fix your problem without another surgery. But I am not a doctor and only your doctor who can see your problem can give you such information.

What you are feeling is definitely wrong. Have you seen a doctor lately? What did they suggest? Another surgery or…?

I am very sorry you have to go through all of this but without professional help, I don’t think you will get any relief.

I had it as well. And I remember that people were telling me that this is nothing serious, that this is not that painful, and after a surgery, I felt really, really bad. I don't know what I can compare this pain with, but it was really awful. Even if my doctor told me that this maybe will last for a three to four days, even if he gave me a bunionette pain relief - nothing. I checked it again as well and everything was just fine. It seems that my bones are the problem and that is why I felt this pain in my leg and toe for a long time as well. 

I have seen the podiatrist recently, and he decided that he would like to go in and remove the screw, scrape out some of the scar tissue, and remove the bone spurring. Great. I am scheduled to be there Monday morning for the surgery, and am really not looking foward to it. There are some concerns about prolonged swelling because it is a second surgery at the same site, even using the same incision.
I will update on how everything went and my recovery. Thanks!

Well, I went in Monday for the removal. He took out the screw and did a little shaving on the bone where the spurring was. I am so happy so far, I have had almost no pain whatsoever. I have been following all his instructions, icing and elevating almost non-stop since.
Things are going great, he says in 2 days I should start some flexing exercises. Literally grabbing my toe and bending it with my hand. Might be some pain doing that but if I don't get moving it now, it will be harder to move it later.
So far really happy with things, we'll know better when the stitches come out. I am just hoping to be able to tip toe without pain. I'm not asking for pointe or anything, just what is normal. He says it looks like a good possibility.

I am going through the exact same thing. I am very concerned that I am never gonna be the same again.It has been three months for me now. My doctor told me that i would be okay in 6weeks .That was before I went through with my bunionectomy. I think I made a serious mistake.

I have had a bunionectomy with a k wire which was removed after 4 weeks and my foot cast removed after 6 weeks i am shocked I cant walk very much on it and may have to have cast put back next week!! I too was under the impresion that it would take about 6 to 8 weeks and be back at work and begining to wish i had not had this done!! I did have a lot of pain before thats why I had it done but now worry if my toe will ever move again! I work all day on my feet and now worry how long it will be before i get back! Has anyone else had theres done by k wire?

Im glad to have found your posts because I was starting to think I was crazy. I had a bunionectomy with osteotomy 8 weeks ago. Everything was fine until he told me to bare 100% weight ont he foot and walk...OMG crushing pain inside, feels like all my bones are falling apart inside there, but xrays show everythign to be "fine" and "looking good." everytime I put a little bit of weight on my foot it kils me, which unfortunately leads me ot walk on my heel or side of my foot which will in turn screw somethign else up,right? So my dr is workign wiht me trying to figure out what the problem is...i keep telling him i think my body is rejecting the 2 screws he put in but he doesnt seem to think that is the problem... he also said i have a lot of built up scar tissue... does that mean he has to go in and take it out or does that heal on its own with some PT? My toe can barely bend upward and downward...so stiff. If id known it was going ot be like this would have never done it..ever. Any advice? I am dying ot go back to work but the pain wont let me.

I am a runner with a family history of bunions. I finally had mine removed at age 30 by a fantastic podiatrist from Stanford University. It's been five years, and I am thrilled with the results. I can run up to 10 miles, so long as I wear orthotics.

Recently, the screw in my left foot started to pull out, and I could feel it through the skin. I went to a nearby podiatrist to have it removed, knowing it was an easy procedure. Stanford is about 90 minutes from my home, and it didn't seem worth the drive. I was so wrong. After a month, I can barely put weight on my foot without pain. I can't walk more than a mile without severe pain. I don't think the surgeon stitched the incision well, and I have puckering in the skin. I suspect that is the problem. I'm going back to him, but I'll probably end up going to my Stanford doctor to fix the mess.

I had bunion surgery on my right foot, big toe and little toe (also called a bunionette). After almost 10 weeks, I am finally alternating sneakers and a walking boot, plus going to rehab 2 times a week. My foot looks a lot better, but this has changed my life considerably and I'm afraid that I've made a mistake. I can't bend my toe downward and from other posts am afraid that I never will be able to. Can anyone reply after bunion surgery that the toe flexibility comes back 100%?? Plus, both my husband & I remember my Dr. distinctly saying 6-8 weeks, full recovery, we never heard 10 weeks plus. . . . are Dr's downplaying recovery time to get business??

Well, I'm glad I"m not the only one having a problem with my bunionectomy. I had the surgery done almost 8 weeks ago and my toe doesn't move downwards at all, and only moves up a little bit. Same with other people. I'm trying to force it to move, but the pain is insane, and all for nothing because it still isn't budging. I had this done because the bunion was extremely painful, and they said because I'm young I would make a full recovery. I ran before the surgery, and I'm terrified that I'll never be able to run again.

So if there's anyone out there who had this problem and was able to overcome it, please write in and let us know!!

I had bunion surgery in Sept 23 2006. My recovery was quick, but I too lost movement in my toe. I'm had stiffness and pain at the site of the screw. The dr did the v cut and then a screw to hold the fractures from the v cut in place. It was suppose to help it heal faster. I have been getting severe pain at the site of the screw and I now having it removed on Friday 4/20/07. I think my body is rejecting the screw, my dr didn't agree w/ me at first, but he is willing to remove it. I agree with everyone else, if I would have known what it was going to be like now....I never would have had the surgery. It's not worth it. My original surgery was for a small bunion and joint pain. I should have just gone to the chiropractor. She's the one that suggested having the screw removed. She felt a lot of swelling and the screw sticking out of my foot (on top).

I had both bunions done with screws put in 5 months ago. Doc's main concern was that I stay off feet for several weeks, then small orthopedic shoes. Didn't have a shower for 7 weeks. I can wear tennis shoes (one full size larger than before) and exercise feet in the pool (highly recommend water therapy for allowing you to use your feet without putting too much weight on them). Also doing slow treadmill. But I'm having a problem with one foot that still hurts. Doc says screws should come out as that might be causing problem with that one foot. So I am going to get screws removed. Have to confess that I had no idea that the screws could be removed until doc told me last week. But he did pretty much level with me as to recovery time (10-11 weeks minimum). I used to get bummed out when I read posts about people with really short recovery time, but realize that there are many different procedures. Also having both done at the same time is a totally different situation than just one. One warning: After so many weeks sitting around with my feet up, my back muscles got quite weak so that it took a while before I could stand for more than 5 minutes at a time. Perhaps chair-bound exercises would help. So, status now is: I really hope getting the screws out is going to solve the problem because I don't know what else to do. Bit scary.

I have almost the same symptons as you do but do , but my surgery was on MARCH 21'st, only about a month ago. I have terrible pain on the bottom of my foot, the first metatarsal head. I go to physical therapy and the therapist couldn't believe how much my foot hurts. I find myself walking on the side of my foot, and now am back on Vicodin and back to wearing the post op shoe. My foot is still very swollen, and I dont think I will ever fit comfortsably back into my old shoes.

My x-rays looked ok, normal on the post op visit of April 11th, and I was not in the pain then that I am in now! Do you feel sudden twinges of pain or like a bone is popping or something is comming up through your skin? Sometimes I feel like the screw is trying to pop through the skin! Sounds strange, but that is what I feel like. I didn't feel this much pain when I had my other bunionectomy, and that was same dr. about 8 years ago. Does a bunionectomy take longer to recover from when you are older? I hope you find some answeres and relief to your pain. patcat

I have had bunionectomies on both of my feet. My first one has caused no lasting problems or pain however, my second one has been an ongoing battle. I had not only the bunion removed on both but needed correction to the big toe involving a screw and pin and tendon release. A year after the second foot I am still having problems and recently got an MRI on it. I just found out that I have swelling in the bone and it will require another surgery to correct. I suggest to everyone thinking about getting a bunionectomy to consult an Orthopedic surgeon rather than a podiatrist. These surgeons specialize in bones and know what they are doing.