Hello I had hammer toe surgery performed last week and have pins inserted in my toes. The pins are going to be removed next week. I would like to know whether the removal of the pin is a painful proces. I am having night mares!!!!! Also, how long wil it take for my full recovery?

Thank you.

I have also recently had the same operation and had the pin removed on Tuesday. I have a very very low pain threshold and even I didn't feel anything. It's over in a matter of seconds and is in no way painful. Your toe may feel a little tender afterwards.

Hope this helps to put your mind at rest :-) :-D

Hi I had hammer toe surgery on Oct 5 this year on both my second toes, I would be lieing to you you if i said that the pin removal was not painful ( it damn sure was for me) when he took them out he didn't give me any notice so I was not able to brace myself he just kind of tugged on them with this large lookin metal toe nail remover thingy,, I almost cried, but after about 5- 10 min I was ok, oh yeah my pins were removed 2 weeks after my surgery i think they should have stayed in l onger than that because I've heard the longer the pins stay the easier it is for the pin to be taken out. Well i hope i didnt scare you too much but that was my experiance with the removal of my pins .

I had hammer toe surgery august 29th of 2008 on my second toe and now it is Sept. 23rd and my pin is still in - it will not be removed until Sept. 30th....I was surprised when I read these stories that the pins were in for only two weeks!

I have to say I am sick and tired of it and having to be so damn careful. Why can't they come up with something to cover the pin with to protect it from moving......

I am not looking forward to next week!

I had that done on my fourth toe a few weeks ago and am worried about having the pins taken out... how do they do it? does it hurt?
do stitches hurt when being removed as well? :S
i'm not very good with pain lol :S

i had my pin removed after 6 weeks and it did not hurt at all!!!! i must admit the first time the doctor turned it before removing it, i did feel a bit of pain, but it was just like a jolt of pain that lasted a second. then she removed it by turning it out and i felt nothing at all. do not be afraid, you will be fine!

I had my pins removed from my 3rd, 4th and 5th toes yesterday after them being in for 6 weeks. I can tell you now, it was 1 of my worst experiences ever! The doctor gave me no warning at all. He pulled them out with a pair of plier in one quick tug.

According to the doctor the pins should have been quite lose at this stage and came out relatively easy, but not mine - he said they were the tightest pins he'd every seen! Im still in pain today, but its manageable.

Good luck to anyone who is considering the surgery - I have no regrets :-D

I had surgery on both big toes and 2nd toes. After removing the first pin, my doctor jokingly asked if I wanted to take my own pins out. I grabbed the "pliers" and pulled them out. There was no real pain. The pain I had was when my wife (now ex-wife, for other reasons) pushed my wheelchair into a door facing bending one of the pins.

i had bunion surgery and 3 hammer toes done 6 weeks ago , the pins in my toes were removed yesterday and although I wouldnt say it was painful it wasnt what I would call pleasant, My foot is very tender today and I keep thinking that as I have only had one foot done I will at some stage have to go through the whole thing again on the other foot.

i am 15 years old and have just had the pins put into my second and 3rd toe on each foot last week and i am really scared about them hurting when they come out.

I am in my mid 50's and I had bunion and mini bunion repair along with 1 hammer toe repaired about a year and a half ago. I don't remember having much pain when the pin was removed, but I do remember being very afraid to have it pulled out. I have just this passed Monday had the second foot done, but had 3 toes fixed this time along with the bunions. The first time my doctor removed the pin in 14 days if I remember corrrectly. I only hope that I won't have to keep these pins in any longer than a couple of weeks.

I saw your post and its been three years since you had the experience. I am having my pins removed on Nov 23 and just wanted to know how it was.
The worst part for me is the cast now. I changed from the splint to the cast yesterday and I HATE IT..

In April 2009 i had four toes fused the 2nd and 4th toes on each foot, Healing after the opperation wasnt at all as bad as i thought, i was up and about on the 2nd day. Stitches were removed 2wks later and wasnt a problem, then 6wks later pins removed and it was over within 5mins, although the feeling once removed is alittle uncomftable, very sharp shooting pain for a minute. Following having this surgery carried out i've had to undergo it again in september 2009 because to much of the bone had been removed previously on the 2nd and 4th toes leaving the middle alot longer than the two fused toes. They looked terrible so un-even, Wish i had'nt had it done in the first place, now i've just had my middle toes fused on both feet and it doesnt even look like much of the bone has been removed, i cant believe i've had to go through all this again and they still aint correct. My stitches have now been removed 2wks after surgery and this time they really hurt, very sharp. I am now demanding to have my pins removed this week which is 2wks after the surgery due to constant pain and me not being happy with the outcome. Cannot believe i was advised to have them done the first time and they messed them up so i've had to have two perfectly normal toes done to correct the previous surgery and they dont look any different.

I had my bunion removed and pins put in 3 of the 4 remaining toes and had them removed at the 3 wk mark and I had NO pain at all. I even took a video of it. Nothing. No pain. It was great.

However, I am having a hard time with the toes now. They are still quite tender to walk on and I have permanent screws in my big toe. I still am unable to bend it completely forward/backward.

I did not have any of this with my last surgery - but I also didn't have my hammer toes corrected, nor did I have screws put in.

How long before you could fully walk on your toes and bend them completely?

It's been about 6 wks since the surgery.

Thanks!

im matt, im 16 years old. I have pins in all five of my toes in my right foot. I must say im a bit nervous about the removal process. especially after getting 75 staples and 18 stitches removed today without taking the recomended vikodin. let me tell you something, it sucked! now im just thinking if a little staple could hurt so bad to remove then whats the pain level going to be like removing a 3 inch long pin out of my foot.