It has been almost 3 months since I had the pinky (tailor) bunion corrected. My podiatrist inserted a temporary pin to hold the 2 bones together and forced me to walk on it after a week of surgery. I was in so much pain (bones felt like they were being crushed) that I ended up buying a pair of crutches to help me mobilize and was using it for quite some time. The first set of x-rays the doctor told me the the foot was on track. By week 4 (second set of x-rays) she was very unhappy with the way my foot was recovering. She told me that there was a gap between the 2 bones about a millimeter apart!

She thought maybe I was not getting enough support from the post-op shoe so she but me in a removable cast/boot. The boot helped me get around but it was so heavy and I felt that it was too loose. Since then, there has been NO change in recovery. I'm out of a boot wearing Crocs and still the bone did not grow back. I'm using a bone stimulator every day for 20 minutes and still no change!!!

My pinky foot is still swollen, some pain, I cannot move my pinky toe and I have a raised scar where the incision is. My foot and ankle is really stiff and the worst feeling is that my pinky toe does not feel attached to the rest of my foot. I've resorted to acupuncture to relieve some of the symptoms.

Next week, if there is no change in my foot, my podiatrist wants to perform another surgery. She wants to "clean" up the bones and either wire the bones together or put a screw in. I fear that my scar will get worse and will cause additional stiffness and tension among other things.

I've lost all confidence in my podiatrist and scheduled an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the foot and ankle. But I would have to wait until the end of March to see him. My podiatrist was very unsympathetic with my "problems" and she sort of blew it off and has been no help.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any insight would be much appreciated!

I am having problems with my podiatrist too.  It is sad but they do not care about your feet but about money.  Your podiatrist is not loosing anything on the contrary is making money with your suffering.  Go to an orthopedic surgeon or a podiatrist with many years of experience (15-20)
MY podiatrist in NYC cut too much bone and made a mess, she kept saying that everything was perfectly fine but felt worst. Now, she does not want to hear from me and cannot find her.  I am gonna need reconstructive surgery & it is not warranty.  I will never allow her to touch me again and continue making money to fix her mistakes.
Beware of podiatrist!

those complications are very common. My sister in law was not able to stand for weeks and weeks, painkillers were not able to help her to deal with the pain. it was present all the time, and according to her words, it was a really strong pain. she had biggest problems with a painful little toe. Her doctor told her that all surgeries have those risks and unfortunately you are experiencing a risk associated with an osteotome. You definitely should see your doctor and ask him to do an x-ray again, just to be sure did something went wrong during the surgery, which can happen of course.   

Hi, I am currently going through the exact same thing. I know this happened to you a while ago, but can you tell me how you are now, and what you ended up doing. I am at my wits end with my doctor and the pain. Thanks

I hVe almost the same story my surgeon stated that this had all been discussed pre surgary (NOT) whole thing really upsetting still in pain. swollen and impossible to wear shoes I apparently have 'Bone Bleed'... Really very uneasy about trusting someone else to rectify this mess.