Had a great run last night but as we were walking across the bridge it felt like I had a smooth stone in my right shoe, right where my second toe (the one next to my big toe) joins the ball of my foot. There was nothing there (must have been swelling?) but today that area really hurts every time my foot flexes when I push off.
I've made today my rest day instead of tomorrow amd plan on doing nothing for the next 24 hours. Is this a sprain? Is it common?

Don't want to freak you out here but could be the beginning of a neuroma. Does it only hurt when you walk on that area. Like if you stepped on a stick right on that spot does it hurt? And if you're sitting in a chair flexing and pointing your foot is it fine? Are your shoes wide enough in the toe box? Try to loosen the laces in that area to give them more room. I have lots of experience with this so if it dosen't get better let me know and I'll give you more tips.

It hurts to touch and hurts when I flex while sitting. I think it's muscular. It just seems like such a weird place for it. Big toe I could understand.

:shrug:

my best advice it to rest it, and hope it goes away.

if it doesn't, seek a medical opinion.

first thing i thought of was neuroma. dancer seems to have this market covered though...i'd take her advice.

hate when this happens. :? see a podiatrist if it's hanging around.

I did a little research on neuroma and it doesn't really fit the way I feel. Sounds nasty, though. Sorry Dancer if you have it.

Just wanted to add that I'm going to swim and bike today since my foot is either flexed the other way or held rigid for those two things. I won't run again until at least SAturday, depending on how it feels.
I just have to break the news to the dogs now; no walk today.

maybe metatarsalalgia? I still think you shouldn't rule out Morton toe. It can start out like a bruised small area and progress to foot falling asleep and shooting pains up the legs. Both usually required the same treatment. Wider toebox........and No heels, pointed toes a big no-no. What kind of boots do you wear riding?? Cowboy-style pointed is bad.

I am either in running shoes or Merrell sandals. Riding boots are not pointy one bit; they are Blundstones. Never wear heels, ever.

are you a forefoot runner?? I get a bruised feeling right below my big toe. I forgot what my husband called it.....I could only think of sigmoid. I had the 'moid right :x . More cushioned shoe, look for forefoot cushioning. But if yours is painful that it prevents you from running, you might want to rule out stress fx. I'd wait a few days anyway because an xray probably wouldn't show anything this early, anyway. And according to my husband (broke his scaphoid on Sunday), MRI's are painful.

*Update* I decided to run SAturday morning but was willing to cut it short at any time if I had any pain. I was even running hills, so you can imagine the degree of flexion in my foot and it felt great. It actually felt better afterward than it did since I hurt it Wed night. Now it is completely back to normal.
I remember rolling myankle Wed night (although I could have sworn it was the other foot :shrug:) so maybe I just tweaked something? I'll monitor it for the next week or so but I'd have to say I'm back to 100%.
Thanks everyone for the great links/opinions/advice. I learned a lot about feet!

was your terrain different? I get bruising in that area and it's painful for a few days, I have no idea why either....but I do wear lightweight shoes and maybe just some minor pebble in the road or sumpin'

The injury happened while running trails. Yesterday I was running on the road.