I had a bunionectomy on one foot in January 08. I've had no major problems - a little numbness and some swelling that I believe is normal. When can I expect to wear heels again?

I had a bilateral bunionectomy back July '07. In addition, I had one hammertoe corrected and tailor's bunion removal on both feet, too. I had numbness in one toe for a a couple of months, but that has subsided and I can move and feel all toes very well. I started wearing kitten heels, that is, heals 1.5 inch or lower, around December, and I've tried slowly to progress from there. I'm not crazy though, and I listen to my body. I HAVE made the mistake of wearing my kitten heels too long (maybe 4-5 hours) and my feet were so swollen the next day, you'd think I had surgery the month before. I don't think I'll ever be where I used to be, wearing extremely high heels for long periods of time, but that's actually a good thing in the long run I guess. My bunions were hereditary, so I'm prone to acquire them again if I don't treat my feet right. The moral of this story is, you can DEFINITELY get back into the swing of things with your shoe inventory, but make sure to invest in some cute flats for a WHILE. I'll be coming into a year post-surgery in a couple of months, and I've just reached the point of complete comfort in really short heels...realizing that my feet MAY or MAY not swell up a little after. I have a serious shoe fetish for high heels, and even I would rather wear my ballet shoes than go through slightly swollen feet the next day....

P.S. I'm also back on the track. I can't sprint like a track star or anything, but I walk/run 2-3 miles 4 times a week. I can sometimes feel it a little on my feet, but I make sure to do my tennis ball foot stretches and a good epsom salt soak at least once a week.