I don’t know how to describe this and that’s why I will just tell you my symptoms.
I am 34 year old male and all my life I had some toe deformity which didn’t represent any problem to me earlier.
But, a year ago, I started to cause me very strong pains. Sometimes I even didn’t go to work because I couldn’t wear my shoes in the morning because of pain.
So, my doctor recommended me a bunion surgery tow months ago. After surgery I felt big relief, but only at the beginning.
The visible deformity was gone but symptoms stayed pretty much the same.
What should I do? I want to walk and I need to walk but I don’t know how to do it.

Ok, I will tell you some facts about bunion surgery and I hope you will find all your answers in it.
Bunion surgery generally involves an incision in the top or side of the big toe joint and the removal of soft tissue and bone to relieve pain and restore normal alignment to the joint.
So you understand that this is very radical operation after which you will need one very long recovery period.
You had an operation two months ago and I bet you don’t know that the usual recovery period after bunion surgery is 6 weeks to 6 months, depending on the amount of soft tissue and bone affected.
Complete healing may take as long as 1 year.
With traditional bunion surgery, a return to shoes has often been delayed by pain, swelling, and the inability to walk because of pins or bone instability.
So, if your wound is normal, meaning that you didn’t develop some bacterial infection, all you need is time.

I had bunion surgery 3 days ago and have found this morning my big toe starting to go purple. Is this normal bruising or a sign of bacterial infection?
This hasn't seemed to cause any further pain and I belive I received good treatment, however I just feel a little concerned.

Thankyou,
Robert.

i don't think that is good nor bad i don;t know but i think you should call your doc and ask incase because i had bunion surgery 1 week ago and my toes are pink like normal color the color never changed i hope all is good with u and me who knows?

I had surgury(Scarf & Atkin) a week ago, suffered pain from my bunion for the last 10 years, affecting walking and climbing stairs. i had daycare surgury and was home the same night with some painkillers the pain was not that bad, and i only took painkillers for 2 days. The pain was no worse than my bunion caused whilst trying to walk. A week on and i have niggling pains and a litle discomfort not enough to warrent painkillers. The worse bit is how incapacitated you are, i cant make a cup of tea, sleep comfortable, wash dishes , i just have to sit on the couch watching c**p TV, which is a bit depressing :-( , go back a week tommorow for my bandages of , i hear that moility gets better as time goes on, counting the days a way!

okay well i am 15 yrs old..and im suppose to get one done soon.
anything i should really be worried about

Good luck. I hope that all goes well for you. I had bunion surgery nine days ago. The surgery is not all bad. More than anything it's an inconvience, but otherwise it's fine. The first eight days I had crutches which were aweful, but I now have a cane. With the cane my mobility has increased much more because I am now able to walk. With crutches you are very limited with what you can do. My suggestion for the surgery is to choose a good doctor and have patience. With these things you should be fine. Oh! don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions. If he's a good doctor he won't mind. Make sure that you are aware of all the aspects of your particular bunion surgery. There are many different aspects and techniques used, some are better than others and give you better results and healing time. Lastly, ask what type of incision your doctor will be making. If he says the incision will be on the top of the toe RUN. This is an outdated method that leaves horrible scaring. The incision should be made on the side of your foot. A good doctor can access everything he needs to from that point. Toe incisions are shortcuts mainly used by doctors who want to shortcut or have no skill. I hope this information helps. Again, good luck.

I had a bunionectomy 16 days ago, and just had my stitches removed yesterdayy. I noticed my doctor made an extra medium-sized incision between my large toe and the small one (next to it). Seemed strange since I don't recall seeing this kind of method in my research. With the swelling and bruising, there is a noticeable space between my big and little toe. I hope it goes away! I asked him why he made the extra incision and he said there was "tension" in my foot that needed to be relieved. Huh? Has anybody heard of this kind of method? At any rate, I've been off pain meds for about a week, but the first week was brutal! I have 5 pins and a plate in my foot. I sorta feel like Frankenstein lol.

That is strange that you have a gap between those two toes and I don't know what the reason is behind it. I hope it grows together as well. Let us know if it doesn't, okay or even if it does? Thanks!

I had the same incision in my foot. kinda feels like you have a nail going through the middle of your foot!! I have an excellent doctor...he too left a rather large space between my toes. The reason for that is to keep the tissue from returning to it's original position which would pull your big toe back into your little toe. I had an over correction as well, making my toes look like they are giving the vulcan greeting sign in toe language!! Just need to give it time, it can take up to 6 months to recover. I had my left foot done over 10 years ago and it took awhile to get back into the swing of things. Had the right foot done 2 weeks ago (thank you mom, dad and pointy toe shoes!). The worst part is just waiting for the healing. The first month is mostly rest.....good luck to you! :)

I had bunion surgery on November 10...I also have the incision between my big toe and second toe. I had to have a bone graft taken from my heel (he went in from the side of my foot right below my outer ankle) and put on the top of my foot with a plate and screw. He said I had too much "play" in my foot on top. The incision between the big and second toe was to relieve the tension and pull of the big toe inward. The only problem I am now having (close to 7 weeks) is swelling. My incisions have healed nicely but they itch a bit. I do have some scar tissue buildup under the incision by my ankle. I honestly hope the swelling doesn't last 6months!!!!

Thanks guys for your encouraging emails. I had bunion surgery about 15 days ago. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision as it is painful for me to sit so long and just heal. I had the incsion at the top of my toe as my dr. explained it was the least irritating after it healed. Scarring doesn't really concern me because as a 60 year old, active person, I have acumulated many "battle wounds" or scars over the years. From the reading I have been doing today, I guess I will just have to settle down and expect a long and slow recovery. However, I am in no hurry to get my other lesser bunion corrected!

I am 74 with bunionectomy/chielectomy surgery done 11/15/09 on my right foot. Now, 4 months later even after 24 therapy stretching sessions, I still experience pain (3 level) when walking. I walk with the pain 6 days a week for approximately 1.5 miles + with the hope that at some point the pain will subside. Substantial bone was removed, no pins. Incision was on top of the toe and took almost 6 weeks to completely heal. There is to date redness, moderate swelling, sensitivity at big toe on end and outer side and at ball of foot. I also have a 1st toe "hammertoe" on both feet that may need straightening without surgery. My uneducated advise is to be patient a little longer (????), make sure that a walking shoe has a comfortable width and length with a sturdy sole and do self-exercises that you either learned from therapy or your doctor. If you are overweight, eat unhealthy or are sedantary start doing something to improve yourself.

Waht you have had done with regards to the second smaller incision is, a tendon release. You would have had some 'clawing' of your second toe or perhaps even crossing over the great toe by the second toe. This op is a small incision approx 2 stitches and is done to straighten the second and any subsequent toes to give better results for your great toe. You will find the gap does indeed close and quite quickly. I had a bunionectomy/Chielectomy as well as soft tissue and tendon release, all explained very thoroughly by my consultant and her excellent team. I had an awful lot of swelling, all of us who had surgery that day had stitches out at 4 and a half weeks and x-rays at 6 and a half. I had been initially advised the recovery would be 3 months minimum but even with osteo-arthritis in major joints i am almost well enough to return to work 8 weeks after surgery. The bone is split in two if you have bone misalignement, you can see this easily on your x-rays, look at the before and after, see the difference. I had everything done that could be done, due to deformity in the bones in my feet. The pain is virtually nil, the time spent with foot elevated is intensly boring, especially for an outdoors person. I will still go ahead and have my second foot done in two months time, the results are so good, far better than expected by anyone! Swelling and bruising will come and go and take time to recoer from. The bones are healed in 6 weeks, the soft tissue having been traumatised greatly, will take up to 9 months in most cases, hence you will keep seeing bruising and some swelling periodically. Dont be concerned what you had done with your second toe is perfectly normal and the sign of a good surgeon, better if you had asked too have it fully explained prior to and after surgery. IT's your foot you have the right to know what may be done, what could go wrong and what has been done.

The incision between your big and second toe is purely to release tendons that are pulling your toe into a clawing shape, even causing your toes to cross over if not caught quickly. The gap between your toes is also normal for the second incision. You shoudl find, when you have your dressings removed, you have a bandage between your toes too, that is what is keeping them apart, as well as the swelling, a lot of it on the top and sole of the foot, confined to the area of the badages. Don't be concerned the gap between your toes will close quite quickly after your dressing come off. My shock was to see no-one intended to clean the dried blood of my foot when i had my stitches out. Everyone who had surgery that day said the same thing. This is so as to not disturb the healing of the bones! Wet wipes gently stroked over the foot, not near the incision unless it is fully healed, are excellent for cleaning off the dried blood. They are refreshing too. One of the worst things will be the itching and flaking skin from your foot. Thsi is where your foot has been swollen, goes down, swells up again, your sking gets dry, flaky and sheds... Any good moisturiser will help, E45 proved excellent. Once you can bath/shower everything feels better. Some people recover better and quicker than others that will be down to your individual foot problems. Good luck and i hope you carry on well with your recoery, dont rush it and dont loose patience with yourself. I have had 1 foot done in March and the 2nd one will be done in June/July same year, shows it cant be that bad and i have chronic Osteo-Arthritis in all my joints and i am disabled.