I had hammer toe surgery a month ago and had the pins removed two days ago. I have had considerable swelling after the pin removal. My doctor stated that the toes may swell after the pins came out. Has anyone experienced this and what did they do to releive the swelling.

Thanks

Hi i'm experiencing the same as above but am also bed bound because the pain is so bad when i try to walk. I was wondering does anyone know how long this will last?

I am also experiencing this..I had a pin taken out 2 days ago and whenever I am upright my foot is swollen and purple. Perhaps there is some bleeding from the bone after the pin is removed? I hope this does not last long. I had bunion surgery also and have been on crutches for the past 4 weeks. It is discouraging to have this new discomfort. Good luck to both of you.

I just had my pins removed 4 days ago and I'm in a lot of pain. the toes where the pins came out hurts a lot so i can not put any pressure on them when walking. My foot swelled up a lot too. Before my doctor pulled out the pins he said I would be able to wear my running shoes but he has to be kinding lol. I did go out and bought a boots that where easy to put on and a large size ,but sadly i have to walk on the side of my foot. I hope you feel better soon I'm right there with you.:-)

I have had numerous foot surgeries for genetic defects. Fifteen years ago I had pins that were removed and it didn't hurt hardly at all. This time I have pins and wires and every time this doctor or his assistant touch me it hurts. Last week they removed a big pin and it was torture. What has changed from the last time I had this done? This doctor shrugged and when we take out your wires and screws it will hurt even more! Now I am totally freaked. I am a mature woman and not a fearful person normally but now I wish I had gone somewhere else. What has changed? Can't they put me to sleep? I have a coil of wire sticking out of my arch and they said it is a bear to get out. HUH!?!?

I just had hammer toe surgery 3 weeks ago, dr removed stiches last week and the pin yesterday. Let me tell you the pin did not hurt at all. The stiches were worse!!! Do not be afraid of the pin hurting when dr takes it out. you will be fine!!!

I had foot surgery on my left foot;  May 23, (Bunion Correction, (two plates), and I also had three of my smaller toes straightened (K-wires in the three smaller toes). The doctor wants me to keep the pins in for three more weeks, and  continue to wear my cast. (I have three K-wires that will be removed). If you've had this type of surgery, and had the wires removed after five-six weeks, does it hurt? If it does, how much? Thank you.

i HAD BOTH FEET PUT YOR FEET ABOVE YOUR HEart and use ice the swelling will go down.and it will not hued as bad

Hi there. I had an aluminum ladder fall on my foot(toes) and incidentally let it go for 2 yrs. I had surgery on my big toe, second toe and a tumor that was on the outer part of the same foot. The healing all together is supposed to take 8 wks. That is so much time off of work, but did it. You only have one foot, right?
Well, two weeks ago the pin was removed from my hammertoe, the second toe. It hurt but only for awhile. It was sore and became swollen, yes and also turned purple. It is weird. I do all I am supposed to do, but it seems now that my second toe is swelling bigger and is starting to look a little like a hammertoe again. sh*t! Going to the dr. tomorrow. Also my tumor on the side of my foot has also been tender and growing back to the same size as it was.
Thanks

Yes, I had the surgery 8 weeks ago and the pins where removed a week ago and I still have swelling. I have searched and the best thing is soak it in Epson Salt in warm water.

I am having a lot of pain also..had 3 toes straightened and had hardly any pain until yesterday, the day after the pins came out.  My second toe had extensive work joint cut and fused.  It is now almost as big as my big toe.  Been icing it and taking Alleve.  Any idea when this lets up?

My surgery consisted of  bunion, hammertoe and little toe straightened 6 weeks ago.

I had the pin removed from my toe 2 days ago, didn't hurt at all.  But the toe and foot is swollen more than it was before.  Wonder if it's due to wearing shoes again now, part time?  I was told to slowly work into shoes and should be out of the cast completly in 2 weeks.  Hoping the swelling goes down soon, will try epsom salt soaks.

Hi, I know your post was dated over a year ago but I'm hoping you get this and hopefully reply. I had my pins removed yesterday from 3 toes on right foot 2nd 3rd and 4th toe and now my foot is completely swollen and I can't walk on it.. Can you tell me if you was able to walk afterwards and how long did it take for the swelling to go down.. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi I had. My pins taken out two days ago also. Very sore very swollen. Any advice on any ice packs I can use please..

Hi just had pins taken out yesterday, this didn't hurt at all but my toes are very swollen and cannot reach the floor I am hoping that this will all ease off when the swelling goes down, foot very hard to walk on and feels so hot. I will ice and try the Epsom salts I pray my toes will be able to touch the floor again. Doctor said it is very important I stretch and massage my toes down to the ground as they will fuse up. I am hoping this hasn't already happened as 2nd toe won't budge. Loretta