I am 15 years old and this is an issue which has only come to light recently after reading about it on wikipedia. I have a long foreskin which looks like a pair of lips at the end and i can't get the foreskin over the head of the penis. I can stretch it far enough that i can see the opening of the urethra (japs eye?) but i can't get it over the actual head. i can masturbate and piss fine and i never have any pain down there but not being able to pull it over is worrying me.

The question is, should i tell my parents? It's a very embarrasing thing to tell and i would rather avoid it. I only started puberty about 8 months ago and i have lots of pubes and my voice has got deeper gradually but my genitals have not grown much. it's still about 2.5 - 3" flaccid and about 4.5 erect. it has been at about this size since before puberty. Will my penis grow into the foreskin or do i need some sort of treatment such as circumcision (i would rather avoid it) or something else.

I have had conflicting information from different places on the internet. For example, somewhere it said that treatment (steroid creme and manual stretching) shouldn't be considered until 19 and then somewhere else said it requires circumcision. Please tell me what i should do because this is really getting me down.

Thank you for reading.

Ok, i just told my parents and it turns out my dad had the same problem and had a full circumcision when he was 16. this was in 1964 and hopefully alternate treatment should be available now (steroid cream and manual stretching etc). I would like to avoid surgery if possible because i have my GCSE exams in a few months and i can't miss any of them.

ok i went to the doctors about a week ago and he said the skin was very stretchy and i should try pulling it back gently while in the bath. I have had 2 long baths since then and i have gone from hardly being able to retract at all and maybe only being able to see a cm of the glans (flaccid) to being able to fully retract (flaccid). When i first retracted (i nearly retracted when i was on the toilet but i decided to wait until i had a bath) there was some bitty white stuff near the bottom of the penis which i think was smegma but it came off very easily luckily. My bottom of the penis helmet is more red than the rest of the head which is a light pink but i don't think this is a problem because it doesn't hurt.

There is a piece of skin joining the bottom of the head of my penis to my foreskin (on the side which faces you when you look down) which prevents me retracting any further. I dunno what this is but i think it might be the frenelum?? I can touch the head without it hurting but when i pull my finger away it sticks a little bit and hurts a bit.

My main questions are. Is it normal for the bottom of the head to be a different colour to the rest of the head? What is this piece of skin connecting my foreskin to the bottom of the head? Also, when i piss straight out of the urethra piss comes out in a very concentrated small accurate stream. Like you get on a mini supersoaker. Also when i pinch (through the foreskin) the ends my urethra opens. Is this normal?

Ok the piece of skin on the top of my penis has broken off (didn't hurt one bit!) and i can retract fine when erect although a sometimes annoying thing is that my penis is getting bigger which means that sometimes it retracts itself when i get an erection which is annoying because my penis head is quite sensitive (normal?).

My penis head sometimes changes colour though which is strange, sometimes its pink and sometimes it's pale. My 16th birthday is coming up soon and I'm glad that my problem is now basically solved! My penis has grown to about 5 1/2 inches now and is getting bigger so i think at the moment (unless the sensitive head is unnatural) i think i am fine. Apparently most uncircumcised males have it though so i think I'm fine.

To the mansss guy.

When i was retracting for the first time my foreskin, once gone past a certain point would carry on downwards because i remember i scared the sh*t out of myself the first time i managed to get a good length down the head because i took my hand off and it carried on down and i thought i was going to get paraphimosis or whatever it's called.

My advice is to keep trying to get all the way down and once you can you will feel so good, i know i did! It depends what your parents are like of course, i told my parents but it was hard to get the words out. Seeing the doctor made things so much better though, it really took a HUGE load off my chest! However, you seem to be going fine so keep trying!

I have been experiencing similar problems to the OP except I am 19 and only today managed to fully retract my foreskin. It looks very weird at the moment, very weird.. I know it cant be very clean around my head as I dont think I have ever fully seen the head of my penis before! I was set this week to finally go and get something done about this but am massively surprised at how easy it retracted today.

My main problem now is the uncleanliness of it all, I'm pretty sure I have too much skin at the end on my penis, it overlaps so that when I fold back it looks like I have an elastic band round my shaft. There are small (very unsightly!) spots all around this piece of skin. Do you think they will go away now that I have managed to fold back my foreskin? It might be worth just having that cut off though if possible. (Ouch...)

i think what you're describing may be a kind of phismosis. I think that phismosis can occur in different degrees. My advise is to tell your parents and go and see a GP.

I am 20 years old and have never been able to retract the foreskin of my penis over the head. It never caused me any pain when pissing or masturbating and, until about 6 months ago i was oblivious to the fact that it was abnormal. Over the last few years i have had trouble sustaining an erection when attempting sex. As i now know, it was because my foreskin was too tight (phismosis) to retract over my penis and so the blood left the penis and the erection lessened. I did not realise that this was phismosis at the time.
I once had a drunken experience one night, under the covers where a girl was tossing me off vigorously, more so than i had ever done, as i had never really tried retracting my foreskin, suddenly i felt a sharp pain and lost my erection instantly. We both just fell asleep. When i inspected my penis closely in the morning i realised that the foreksin was trapped beneath the head of the penis and wouldn't go back up as it was too tight. In the shower i tried to get an erection but it was painful, because it was stretching the foreskin beyond its capacity, it quickly subsided. In this instance my foreskin worked its way back over the head over the next couple of days. (However, from what i have read, I understand that this can sometimes need emergency treatment? Not sure.) Anyway, after this episode it dawned on me that my penis had probably never been funcitioning properly, and started to research on the internet and came across forums like this one.

Anyway, i was embarrassed, self-conscious and unnerved by the prospect of doing anything about it, i wondered about stretching exercises as people have described on forums like this, i tried once or twice, but these would make no difference to my foreskin and i was more afraid of doing damage. I felt like i had a massive weight hanging over my head, and even lost a bit of confidence socially.

Recently i decided enough was enough- the amount of people on these forums shows the problem is fairly common, it is no-one's fault, we can't help having the condition, and so yesterday i told my mum. I could feel the adrenalin pumping as i prepared myself to tell her. I actually almost wussed out, but i thought, i have to do this, i refuse to suffer in silence, why should i lose the enjoyment of the best years of my life because of something like this. So i told her, she was really understanding, didnt make a big thing of it, but only said she wished she'd known before so it could have all been sorted out. I rang the GP to make an appointment yesterday afternoon and went in this morning by myself. My mum had told my dad last night and he was sympathetic about it in the morning, although i felt a bit embarrassed at first, i soon was ok. He said he'd had a slightly tight foreskin when he was younger but it eased quite quickly. I explained that i thought mine was exceptionally tight and i wanted to see a GP.

So this morning i went to the doctors. The first thing i said was "I've got a problem that i find slightly embarrasing." Immediately after i said that he was on my side, he said "there is nothing to be embarrassed about in here, there is no reason to be ashamed of any medical problem, and nothing we discuss leaves this room." He was very understanding, he asked me a few general questions about myself, which made me feel completely at ease, and then he asked me questions about my penis and had a quick look, he was gentle and considerate. In the end it was agreed that i have been booked in to see a surgeon, with the likelihood that i will have a partial circumcision, as in my case the foreskin is too tight to be stretched. The option was mine, but i said i didnt want to go on like this and agreed to have it done. The doctor is in the process of writing to the surgeon and we will go from there.
About 5 mins after having left the doctors, i realised that i had FINALLY confronted the problem that had caused me so much anxiety for the past year and i felt so relieved, with such a weight lifted off my shoulders. With my parents knowing as well, i don't have to worry about sneaking off for the operation or not being able to explain if i cant do something for a week or so after the operation, as i imagine (dont know yet!) that it will be sore. Hopefully within the next few weks/couple of months i will be able to lead a normal, unembarrassed life. Already, i realise that i was silly to try and carry the burden by myself and should have acted as soon as i found out.

I know ive written an absolute essay, but i just wanted to share this with anyone who is having similar problems and is too embarrased to do anything about it, or feels they'd rather try some sort of self help kit or method. Every case may well be different, so it is important that you bite the bullet and tell your parents and see the GP to get it sorted. It is probable that in some cases the GP will recommend a different treatment if circumcision is not needed/wanted, it is your prerogative! Good luck everyone! And i mean it.

If anyone is still reading this, then here's my tips:

1. Tell your parent/s or a close friend (but parents if poss) as soon as possible, just make yourself do it, a problem shared is a problem halved.

2. If you feel you have any problem just go to your GP, its their job to help you, they will never tell you you're wasting their time, they have seen it all before- phismosis, different problems, and different shapes and sizes too. They also act completely confidentially.

3. When you go in- if you're nervous start off by saying "i find this quite embarrassing or hard to talk about, or i am quite self conscious..." because as soon as they hear those words they will be completely on your side.

4. Finally tell them every detail you can think off, to help them assess you, tell the truth, they won't judge you, and the information might be important.

Best of luck- to everyone who's suffering, resolve to take the first step to getting sorted NOW and, for me that was step was telling my mum.

I will try and let u no how it goes. :-D

i am 16 and i have phismosis and i have to go for a operation in 2 days to get circumsized at first when i had it i just ignored it and looked up things on the iternet about it so i knew i had it i was just to embarresed to go to the doctors or tell anyone but then one night i had an erection and it was so sore i could of died so the next day at work i phoned the doctor and made an appoitment then he was fine and i relised it was nothing to get embarresd about and i told all my really good friends but still hadnt told my mum and dad until i got a letter from the hospital and they wanted to know why but when i told them they were fine and just annoyed i felt i couldnt talk to them but everything is fine now have the operation in two days and am looking forward to just not having it anymore it has ruined my life for like more than a year and its going to be great getting rid of it plus i get 7-10 days off work only thing worrying me is the pain but painkillers should sort me out :-D:-D:-D

I'm 19 and my foreskin has an opening of about 1 centimeter.

This condition has always been a huge concern and is holding me back in my sexual life.

Nobody knew until about a month or more ago when I decided to go see my doctor.

This took off a lot of stress. He basically told me that it was pretty common and that there were different ways to treat it.

I told him I didn't want to get circumcised so he prescribed me some 0.1% steroid cream which i have been applying 2-4 times a day for a month today.There might have been a day or two that I applied it only once or not at all.

I havent mesured the opening of my foreskin before the application of the cream but I didn't notice any significant change... maybe a millimeter or two but I'm not even sure.

So a couple of days ago I researched a bit on partial circumcision and dorsal slit.

From what I understood dorsal slit leaves the two bottom horizontal parts of your foreskin hanging which looks kinda weird.

There isn't enough images of partial circ. and the diagrams are confusing...

In any case I am scared that there is a risk that the operation would fail and leave me with a mutilated foreskin which i would have to remove with circumcision.

**PLEASE** if anyone has the same problem or has had partial circ. or dorsal slit, **I WOULD APPRECIATE VERY MUCH** that you give me some advice or enlight me on the question.

Thank you for your patience.

-Mark.

This condition has always been a huge concern and is holding me back in my sexual life which has ruined half of my adolescence(or all of it).

Thank you for your patience.

-Mark.

Sorry, Didn't mean to post twice :-(

Hi Mark,

This reply may be a bit late for you, i don't know, but i posted a few months back now (couple of posts up) when id been to the doctors for an assessment.

Anyway, that doctor referred me to a surgeon at a hospital and i went and had a consultation where i was given two options:

Full circumcision or dorsal slit and frenuloplasty (extending or cutting of the frenulum or something of the sort)

Anyway, i discussed it with him and since i said it would be nice to keep the foreskin if possible he seemed pretty happy for me to have the dorsal slit and frenuloplasty procedure. So i was put on waiting list for that, and had the operation about 2 n half months later (which was last thursday afternoon).

The op was actually nowhere near as bad as i expected - the atmosphere was really relaxed, the nurses were awesome and i was in and out within about 4-6 hours despite it being under general anaesthetic. The pain afterwards has been minimal and so ive barely used any of the painkillers i was given.

However, i do have quite a lot of stitches around the foreskin and it is slightly uncomfortable, also pissing straight was very difficult for the first couple of days. I wasn't allowed to wash for 48 hours after the op and then was told to bath at least once a day for a week or longer, and whilst in the bath keep retracting the foreskin, with the water also supposed to dissolve the stitches after a while (some of them are starting to go now at 6 days after the op).

At first the foreskin looked quite unusual with the big slit quite evident, but already now- 6 days later its starting to look much more normal as it adjusts, but it is crucial that i keep doing the retractions. Unfortunately this is more difficult for me now as i have had to go back to uni where i only have a shower, and so have literally had to resort to discreetly soaking it in a large mug of luke warm water a couple of times a day... haha - i'm afraid its a needs must situation though, as it is much easier to retract the forsekin when soaked and the stitches need to be dissolved!

Anyway, its still very early days after the op - the doctor has said no sex for a month afterwards - i reckon i ll treat that as a minimum as i want evrything to be right! Erections in my sleep were a slight discomfort in the first couple of nights as i found myself waking up in slight pain, but they quickly went down and haven't bothered me the last couple of nights. I hope soon they won't be painful, as i was told to expect it at first by the surgeon.
I feel quite happy with how its gone so far, i won't know for sure until the stitches have disappeared and the foreskin is more used to being retracted, but i'll have a follow up meeting with the surgeon 3 months after the op just to see how everything has gone anyway.

I know this is just a recount of my experience so far, and i can't give a complete account of success or failure yet because its not even been a week since the op, but i wanted to write again - as i've done a fair bit of searching on the net when i've had questions about my phismosis and the possible cures and i didn't seem to find much which helped. Above all, its just nice to be able to find others are in the same boat and encouraging that it can be sorted.

In my experience so far i think/hope the dorsal slit will work out well for me, but in having it done i do understand there's a small chance it might not work out and there could be a need for circumcision later in life, but hopefully not.. and also it may look slightly different to normal, but the change ive seen myself in the little time since the op has encouraged me that there wont be much difference in the end.

Finally, i have my own concern and would be greatful if anyone could offer me any advice/experience. - The head of my penis, having never been exposed before, is extremely sensitive. Now that i've had the op and can expose it i know it needs to be washed but i can barely bring myself to touch it as i find it really uncomfortable when i do. I know its sensitive probably just because its never been touched before but id really like to be able to touch it so i can clean it, but i find even just a small touch almost unbearable. I desperately want it to be bearable but im dreading the answer that getting it used to being touched is the only way for it to become permanently less sensitive. I do feel a good wash of it is in order but at the moment all i'm really managing is soaking it or running water gently over it, although i find direct dripping onto the exposed head or showering it too uncomfortable. Any thoughts?

Thanks, will post again if/when theres anything significant to tell. Good luck everyone!

Regarding: "The head of my penis, having never been exposed before, is extremely sensitive. Now that i've had the op and can expose it i know it needs to be washed but i can barely bring myself to touch it as i find it really uncomfortable when i do.... i find even just a small touch almost unbearable. I desperately want it to be bearable but im dreading the answer that getting it used to being touched is the only way for it to become permanently less sensitive. I do feel a good wash of it is in order but at the moment all i'm really managing is soaking it or running water gently over it, although i find direct dripping onto the exposed head or showering it too uncomfortable. Any thoughts?"

I had a similar issue recently when I started on my stretching exercises. I found that using the Polysporin that has an analgesic in it managed to dull down the sensitivity to the point where it was bearable to touch it. Though I only used it on a few occasions. Perhaps this will be of some help?
I'm just starting down the road of possible treatments myself and what I am most anxious about is this sensitivity issue. I haven't even picked up my hormone cream yet, but when I do, I'm thinking about trying to get things a little desensitized by handling the head while its a little numbed down like this.

Hi;
Everything you have posted sounds completely normal. I would recommend getting a full physical (including your doctor taking a look at your genitals) BEFORE you become sexually active (with a partner).
The coloring sounds normal. The connecting piece at the underside of your penis is called the frenulum (same as what is underneath your tongue). Be careful during sexual activity not to stretch this too much because it can rarely tear (most painful thing I have ever felt). The head of your penis is sensitive because it's never been exposed, this is also normal. As it becomes accustom to exposure, it will become less sensitive but remember, a sensitive head can be pleasurable later in life.
Relax, and be careful, you are normal.

OK, I am a Mom . . . and I found this site by Googling.
My DS is 6 and uncirc'd.
He used to be able to retract his foreskin - not completely but I'd guess about 50%.
Last Summer we noticed he wasn't able to as much and went to the dr. He said it was normal. Since then we have been assured the foreskin does not retract on some boys until teen years.
Here is the issue - it used to retract and now he barely has an opening at all.
So we took him to a urologist.
The urologist said it looked like he had some scar tissue so we are in the process of using a steroid cream.
I am willing to try it but I don't think it will work . . . he seems to have a very small opening and I don't think the cream will help that.
The urologist said we have one of three options:
- do nothing and wait until he is older.
- do a partial circ
- do a complete circ
We feel the time to do something is now. We don't want him to wait until he is a teenager and is embarassed, etc.
He is quite mature and understands what is going on and he said, "If I get the skin cut off of my penis, it will look funny."
At 6!
So, those of you "boys" who are older . . . what do you recommend?
I think for his emotional health, it is better to do it now.
We would be leaning toward a partial circ . . .
What do you think?
Thanks for any advice . . .

I have never been able to get my f-skin past half way before but after some masturbation I found I was able to bring it all the way down! I'm hoping it will stay just as stretchy tomorrow so that this worry is off my mind.

At least now I know it is possible to retract completely and so minimal treatment would be needed.

I'm 14 and until 1 month ago I couldn't retract at all. On top of that I thought I had genital warts. :-P

My advice is to hang in there, these problems may not solve them selves till 16 even but they may do so so don't give up! Let your body sort it out and then anything you do have can easily be treated.

Last thing, is phimosis hereditary? My uncle had a full circ when he was 21 and up until now I was wondering whether it was hereditary?