I feel insulted by my doctor. my son was ill for a few days with a fever sickness and a rash that started behind the ear then went to the trunk. he is 13 never really complains but clearly was not well. I was thinking like a mum and looked at my book of childhood illnesses wondering if it was measles. Some of the symptoms were very similar, not knowing for sure and not knowing of the incubation period i rang the surgery for advice. they got me to rush my son to them inside ten mins for the doctor to see him. Upon entering the room the doctor asked me if i was medically trained in a sarcastic manner. I was puzzled and replied no...why? he then said what makes me so sure it was measles so i explained the symptoms he replied well has he had all his jabs because if he has then your wrong its not measles in fact i can guarantee it is not. So if your not medically trained the just leave the diagnosis to us in future. he tells me you cannot get measles any more but looking on the net i see there are cases in america as recent as june 2008. Was I so wrong to assume measles as I did not know that if you have had the childhood immunisations you cannot get it. Was he wrong in treating us that way and as just a mere mum am i such a bad person for not realising this. Some symptoms can be similar for many illnesses was I supposed to know this was just a viral infection? after all like I said I am not medically trained. I felt so belittled by this man who is younger than me.

Find another doctor. No doctor, for any reason, should treat you the way he treated you. He will learn soon enough that he's not the only doctor in the world. >:(