I am a mother of a son who is not old enough to be too embarrassed about my presence in exam room during his physical exams, so I feel it is perfectly appropriate for me to witness the whole thing. I want to make sure he is healthy and developing normally, and I may need to ask some questions as well. All visits included genital check at the end of the exam where the doctor usually pulls his underpants to his knees and conducts hernia and testicular examination. Since there is no curtain in the pediatric office, this checks has been done practically in front of my eyes. As I said above my son is not quite old enough to make a fuss about that. However, I too often see mothers entering the exam room with boys that apparently have entered puberty and their son's behavior shows a huge discomfort and embarrassment. I am curious to know if the examinations of the boys who are already in puberty is done in the same way as the examination of my pre-pubescent son and what is the age at which mother's presence in the exam room during the examination of her son is normal.

Hi Guest
The examination will remain the same when your son hits puberty.
Kids can get pretty uncomfortable with their parents seeing them being examined your son will no doubt let you know either by telling you or by his actions that he would prefer you didn't watch.

If there are any issues your doctor will discuss them with you after the examination.
There is no set age for how long you continue to watch his examinations but asking your son how he feels about you being in the room would be a good idea.

You being in there no doubt gives him comfort at this age but the day will come when he doesn't need his mom in the room and you watching him being checked over kinda becomes a bit awkward for him it should be his choice when it stops.

The doctor will still discuss any concerns with you even if your not in the room.

You go with him as long as possible.Families that are nude at home a lot do not have these problems.Sons and dads get erections and it is all normal.The main fear that teens get is mom will see my erection at the doctors.It causes embarrassing moments.

In this day and age of what happens in some doctors offices I always want someone with me I have no problem being nude in front of strangers.

It sounds good, but it does not actually happen that way. We are constantly seeing mothers entering the exam room with their sons who are obviously old enough to be alone. Probably these mothers have a good reason to do so. Many older already men say that this practice has existed during their childhood and adolescence and none of them claim to have received any psychological trauma or deviation because of this. In addition, we often read in various maternal and health forums mothers to ask for counseling to treat illnesses such as the phimosis of their sons aged 14, 15 or even older. I think that such problems would have been discovered and solved much earlier if the mother had attended the intimate part of her son's medical examinations and had the opportunity to follow closely the process of his development. The presence during the medical examination and the observation of the whole procedure is a great opportunity to do so.