I started taking Depo Provera when I was in college, and I LOVED IT!  It was a miracle for me - I had no side effects and it prevented me from getting pregnant at that time in my life.  I stayed on it for 12 years because my doctor assured me it was fine, especially since I didn't forsee having children (I wasn't settling down).  A couple years ago, I met my husband and we got married when I was 33 years old.  We wanted kids, so we decided it was a good time to stop taking the Depo.  That's when I turned to the internet to research how long it might take me to get pregnant after taking Depo.  I have always lived a healthy lifestyle (no smoking, not much drinking, no drugs, exercising once in a while... but ok, not too much exercise)...  so I thought it should be easy for me to get pregnant, even at 33 years old.  I was really disheartened by a lot of the comments I found, but it was too late for me - I had already gotten TWELVE YEARS of shots in me.  Not something that can be undone. 

I decided to quit the Depo right away and see what happens.  The quitting process was NOT fun.  My breasts started hurting so badly, and my hormones erupted (leaving me with gross acne and a short temper).  I didn't get my period after my last shot should have been out of my system, so I went to my doctor to see what was going on.  At that time, he gave me some Progesterone - it was supposed to help me get my period, but nothing happened.  I went back to the doctor and he gave me Clomid to help me ovulate.  A month later... I got my period!  I continued to have the sore breasts and acne every day (not just PMS) but I was at least hopeful that my body was getting back to normal.  But still, after reading all the sad stories about women who couldn't get pregnant after Depo Provera, I was starting to feel sad and depressed each month I got my period, but I was hopeful that I could still get pregnant one day - even if it took 1 or 2 years to happen.  I kept getting my period for another 4 months, and then all of a sudden, my period did not come on time.  I took a pregnancy test, and could not believe it - IT WAS POSITIVE!!  This is my first pregnancy, and I am now 7 months along (30 weeks) with my baby boy who appears healthy and happy at every ultrasound.  Things are going really well, and I promised myself I would come back to leave a comment for everyone else who may be worrying like I was last year. 

I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky that it only took me 6 months to get pregnant after the Depo was out of my system.  And no, I will not go back on Depo Provera after I have my baby boy - at least not till I'm sure I'm done having kids.  I don't want to take the chance.  I just want you all to know that you should not just give up if you happened to take Depo Provera for several years in the past.  It IS possible to conceive, so stay focused on the positive and don't give up.  I really hope it will happen for you the way it is happening for me. 

Hey, I have only taken 2 shots of the Depo, so that means I have only been on it for 6 months. My boyfriend and I are thinking about having a baby, I am not sure about how long it might take for me to get pregnant, I am stopping Depo when I am due for my next needle. I have seen so many sad stories about people not getting pregnant for so long after this, and I was wondering if you had any advice that you could give me? Thanks. 

There is hope! Thank you for posting. I truly appreciate it. I'm so very happy for you... congratulations on your blessing! Seems like Clomid was a big help for you. Thanks again! :-)