what's your favorite race distance, why, and do you train specfically for that distance or for a variety of different races?

I've only run 4 races since starting last May. Anyway, my favorite so far has been the 10K (still need to do a 1/2 and marathon, though). By the time I did the 10K, I had some months of training, knew my pace, and loved the experience. The only thing that bummed me out about the race was that some guy named Larry came in 3rd for my age group (small race) and was listed with us women (and I was 4th...), and it would have been the first time I ranked in the top 3 for my age group.

I would like to work on my 5K time, but noticed that it's not budging much, since I'm training for longer distances.

I've only done up to the half, but that was by far my favorite. I like the long runs best out of all my training. Still do, even though I've vowed to stop racing for a while......but the half rocks! A good challenge but not enough of a body-buster to really risk injury, either in racing or training, like the half is.

5K - Nothing like quite like running all out for 3.1 miles! :banana:

I guess my favorite distance is the one I've done
the least (only once) and that's a 10K.

My first 10k race/run was in 2001 that was the
Cooper River Bridge Run.

But was so upset and frustrated with the walkers
jumping ahead of the rest of us running the course
made me "not" want to run/race this distance now
almost 2 years.

So in my 4 runs a weeks I found I like to set the watch
to 10k distance just for the sheere fun of doing my own
Bridge Run......without the bridge.

M

Definitely! 5k is my favorite although I'm mixing in some 10k's and a 1/2 hopefully because I want to set some pr's at those distances.

My favorite distance is the 10K...I find I'm more competitive in my age group at that distance than I am in the 5K. I probably lack the fast twitch muscle fibers. I actually follow a marathon training program all year except that I limit the length of the weekly long runs unless I'm actually training for a marathon.

5 miles. 5k is like a sprint, 5 miles is just right. Need a litle bit endurance and speed to run it.

I like the half the best. Long enough so you can hurt, but not suffer.

Haven't really run many shorter races, since I resumed running 3 years ago. I always like the 5k though.

Each year we have 2.2 mile fun run in my home town. I really like that one, its definitely a run till you puke distance.

I'm like Joe, 5-mile races are a fav of mine. If I looked back at my logs, I'm sure 1/3 are probably 5-milers. For me, it's about a half hour of keeping the pedal down. For "racing" that's just about as much as I like to do. I can get into a 10km or even 12km for racing, but it's work.

Now if we're talking event-wise, then I like the 10-miler and halfMs. There aren't very many in my neck of the woods, so they end up having a certain rarity. I'm not familiar enough to feel I can "race" them like I do the 5-mile. Besides, when the longer distances cost $30 and $40 a pop, it gets the feel more of an event than a race.

Marathon.
My legs are too short to be able to run fast in those little sprint things, like a 5k or 10k. Well, not that I'm running fast in marathons right now either, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Besides, training for a marathon allows me to go to far away places to run the event and see the far away place. And it makes me train on a consistent basis. Can't just decide to run a marathon like you can a shorter race.

5k

(although, the 10k distance is starting to grow on me)

I fell in love with the 5K last 'season'. Hoping it'll show 'mo' love this spring for me!

joel

20K. Probably because it was my longest run evah, but I felt so good and comfortable just settling into my own pace. I feel like I don't have enough time to enjoy the race when it's shorter, especially a 5K. The number of runners was also low, so it was nice to be out on my own for a good portion of it. I also got to run the first half with my brother, which was a great time.

10K or 10 miles. I think 5K is just a sprint. I'll do 'em but I don't like 'em!
I think the half may grow on me though if I train better and do more...