Here's a thread that's abit on the philosophical side...I was thinking about this earlier today while in the car...
Distance running, as I have found especially competitive distance running gets very addictive especially after a few years in the sport...What I found is a neverending cycle: you set a specific time goal for a race, work hard over a period of weeks and months, run your goal race, achieve your goal time (if you are lucky), get high on it for the next few days to weeks, your happiness and state of well-being becomes stale, you get dissatisfied with what you have achieved as you eye faster times, set another goal and the cycle begins again until to the point where you think you are at your potential and you are sure that you are at your limit. Not to say that this is bad but it seems like this is what makes most runners (including me) strive to work hard and peform their best in their races and thus separates us from the recreational fitness joggers...Without this neverending strive , competitive distance running (by competitive meaning all runners who set specific time goals and strive to perform their best in races, which includes basically all of us in this forum, not just elite runners) would virtually be non-existent...
It is this addiction that makes us runners...

It always seems like there is room for improvement. And, at least, for me, there will be room for improvement for years to come! So, yes, I would say that is an addiction. I enjoy running as a release from stress but I run much better when there is a structured goal (race) out there for me to train for.

and there isn't anything necessarily bad about it......but, I worry about how you "deal" as you age and the goals become "fuzzy". I "do" find myself wishing that I "could" go back to running to burn calories mentality. I'm sure there's a point that it becomes more mentality unhealthy that physically healthy. I think that's why we find really awesome, elite runners fall off the radar.

it can be a neverending cycle as tim says, but i prefer to think of it in kimba's terms "always room for improvement"

i hate thinking of distance running as an unhealthy addiction but i believe there's a point where it can be considered obsessive 8O and not so much for the calorie burn or weight loss, but just on the simple principle of seeing how far/fast one can push oneself. if i did Xminutes last month, i'll bet i can do -Xminutes this month and so on.

it seems as soon as a goal is met, a new one is set.

:1:
Which was what always made running that much more interesting to me

I do think it is some form of addiction......For me it started off with running to get fit. Then it evolved into traing for a 10K, then I trained for a Half, now a marathon, Ultra Marathon Next?!?!?. I think for me it is wanting to see how far I can push my body and mind.

to me the distance was always the goal. As a small child it was the whole street, then it went to the block, to my school, to the store. I became obsessed on just how far was too far. I joined track and became a "normal" runner running a set distance for time but i still loved going out and setting a time and seeing how far i could run in that given time.

In highschool i encountered "ultras" this was a race with a time limit of a week people ran as far as they could, day or night on a track for that whole week. That seemed like a dream come true. I swore that i would do something similar. Well as a went into the Army my availaible time was lessened, i got married, and even less time. I had a set back after injuring my knee but i still had this wonder, desire to see just how far was i capable of going.

to this day i still wonder. I may take a break but i never stop wondering ang challenging myself. The charachter Forrest Gump, became my an inspiration, yeah i know what your thinking and i know it's all Hollywood. But i have a desire to skate across the country, i almost had a chance once but the sponsor pulled out. Have i let go of that desire? NOPE. I still want to and if i want to, if i wonder if i can? I skate back home too. Why? bacause i wonder what the limit of human endurance is, i wonder what my limit is, and yes it had been an addiction if not of chemicals and hormones but also of desire.

Yeah, that's my favorite part of running. Seeing how far I can push my body. I think it's incredible when I make it 8 miles then want to go further. Just a while ago I would consider further distances like that out of question, but I just kept on going.....

I like running because it's so easy to make it so hard. it's just a release, and a way to break free from reality for a little while, which everyone enjoys.
as for improvement, I will continue to run my entire life until I reach my goal:
my current PR minus 1 second