In 6th grade, my son had a swollen lymph node in his arm pit removed. They suspected that it was caused by cat scratch fever. In 9th grade he had a bike accident and shattered his spleen, which was also removed. Last summer he got mono and never really got better, so yesterday he had his tonsils and adenoids removed. How worried should I be about his immune system? Any ideas on how I can get a 17 year old to strengthen it?

One other thing. The surgeon said that his tonsils were rotten and mushy. Does that mean he's been battling tonsil problems for a long time? Going in, the doctor only knew that his adenoids were really big.

Thanks,
Jeanie

Hi there! When I went to see an ENT two months ago, she also said that my tonsils were rotten and that they should be removed. The thing is that I am 25 and had only few sore throats and have never suffered from tonsillitis. So, I have no idea what made them rotten. It could be that they were fighting something that I didn’t even feel and wasn’t aware of.

Some things that certainly help in boosting and strengthening the immune system are black and green teas. These two tea types have amino acid L-theanine that increases body’s ability to fight off infections and releases neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine that have positive influence on mood making us happy and calm.

As for the food, make sure it is rich in antioxidants, folate and omega-3 fatty acids. We you live near the sea, sea-fish would be a great source of omegas 3. Other sources of omega 3 are walnuts, salmon, soybeans, ground flax seeds and pumpkin seeds. They are very good for regulating immune system. Antioxidants help fight free radicals that damage cells. The best sources of antioxidants are pumpkin, peppers (red and green), sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, kale, sunflower seeds, almonds and olive oil, grapefruit (red and pink), blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, oranges, etc. Folate prevents brain cells damage. You can find it in dark green leafy vegetables, legumes, asparagus, okra.
Make sure he is under minimal levels of stress and you will have a healthy and happy child.