Hi my 5 year old son had his adnoids and tonsils out 5 days ago
he woke in Recovery screaming through clenched teeth and shaking with fear to the point that we could not comfort him or console him, he was actually glaring and shaking with temper and pain he eventually fell asleep in my arms and left recovery 45 mins later
that night in the hospital he again woke up with what we had put down to pain and the nurses were trying to get him to drink water or at least panadol
We have had every night since the operation with the same results
he seems to have locked into the pain and the nightmare and we cant console or fix him
he is not in actual pain but locked into what i have begun to call recovery trauma nightmare
please can someone help
as he screams (through clenched teeth) for over half an hour and you cant get through to him
he freezes and cant communicate eyes are glazed and glaring, fists are clenched
I know it is actually not physical as he spoke through the episode last night and said he wanted to go home
the same thing he said the first night after the operation
Please help
i am a mum in desperate need of a solid sleep
Kim

Did this eventually go away for your son... my son is 2 and is having bad nightmares since his tonsils and adenoids were removed a week ago.