Hi all, my first post here

Few weeks ago I injured my finger in martial arts class. My hand got struck with a kick. My left index finger was swollen and I thought it was merely sprained and whatnot. So I applied an ice pack on it. The swelling went down a few days after. But it got injured again the week after and I just followed the same procedure. When the swelling went done, I noticed that the symmetry with my right index finger was off. The proximal phalanx of my left index finger feels elevated. I can feel a slight small bump right under the knuckle. It also hurts to punch and do knuckle pushups. I can't crack my left index finger by pulling it nor pushing it towards my palm. I saw a doctor about it and he told me that my finger is fine and I just need to apply ice on it, which I found too much simple for his answer. So is the doctor right? Do I just need to wait a little longer for my finger to completely heal or do I need to seek further medical attention?

Thanks and all the best.

From what you said, it sounds to me like you may have broken your finger. And breaking fingers are more common then you think, especially in contact sports. But first wait another week, and do as your doctor says to do. But if it still hurts then go too another or the same doctor to have it looked at.

Hi there thanks for your reply

I can still move around my finger freely though. I forgot to say the bump can only be felt by touching it. The finger looks pretty normal though.

Also it hurts when I apply pressure to the area near knuckle and the proximal phalanx, not as in excruciating pain but a general discomfort. Same when I make a fist with my left hand.