I’m a 46-year-old female who was dactylographer all her life.
I had never had any problems with my joins ‘till this summer.
First thing I felt was low-intensity pain in my ankle and in my shoulders. That stopped after a while but now, symptoms are back with pain and swelling of knuckles on my hand.
I don’t know is this caused by my life occupation or something else but I know that my pain is connected with outdoor temperature and season changing.
Are those some rheumatic signs and how will I treat my knuckles and joints?

There can be several causes of your joints and knuckles swelling. I would say that cause is probably, just how you said it, some rheumatic change. You are in those years when rheum is most frequent cause of joint and knuckles pain. Being a dactylographer is just one more reason to think so.
But, you should consider also that the cause of your swelling could be some autoimmune disease like rheumatic arthritis or febris rheumatica.
This is a very serious condition and it demands several therapies and medicaments.
What ever is the cause best thing for you to do is to contact your general practitioner and schedule an examination. After exam you will no what is the right reason and what steps to take in order to be healthy!

any idea what would cause my knucles to "lock up" on one finger in each hand

I am a 29 year old and have suffered on and off with swollen knuckles on my index and middle finger on my right hand for about 13 years. I have been tested for rheumatoid arthiritis, which was negative, however i still have no diagnosis as to why this happens. It is most painful in the morning, especially since I can barely bend my fingers at that time. My fingers have actually been permanently disfigured from this happening.....they are bigger and a different shape to the same fingers on the left hand. Even the skin on my right hand is not as pliable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

hi when i was eight two of my knuckles on my right hand swelled up & have been like that ever since they never caused me any pain until a few months ago and now another finger on the same hand has swollen up to. they also get itchy sometimes but not that much. i went to a specialist when i was eight and they said it would go away in a few years. i am now 15. i wonder what it is ? %-)

i've got the same thing but without pain. yesterday only my left hand had swollen knuckles, today it's on the right side too. so weird, should i be worried?

make sure to get tested for Lyme Disease. A lot of doctors overlook this because people dont think they have been bitten when in fact they have and the tick was too small to see. Lyme disease does not always have the typical bullseye rash....If in doubt, get tested.

TO THE 29 YEAR OLD IT WAS LIKE READING MY OWN STORY. I AM 35 AND SINCE AGE 30 HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FROM THIS. I HAVE TWO FINGERS...ON THE RIGHT HAND BOTH MIDDLE AND THE RING FINGERS ARE DISFIGURED AND SWOLLEN. WORST UPON WAKING AND PAINFUL THROUGHT OUT THE DAY. COLDER TEMPS. MAKE IT WORSE. KNUCKLES ARE ENLARGED AND THERE ARE LUMPS UNDER THE SKIN. I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THE TREATMENTS IF ANY OR WHAT DR. HAVE SAID. I FEEL LIKE I HAVE BEEN EVERYWHERE AND SEEN EVERYONE.

I have spent $$$$ looking for a reason. Xrays, blood test, more Xrays, Nerve Conduction test...No Doctor has been able to explain. All we have confirmed is blood works is normal and Xrays show no bone issues. My knuckles are swollen on both hands. I have lost mobility in the fingers that are affected. I have no more money or energy left to keep trying to find out why this is happening. Nothing as worked to help the swelling. This has been going on for 2 years now.

Male
Age 43
good health
no prior injury

you can still have rheumatoid arthritis with negative blood results,get the hands xrayed, any good dr should know this

Hey all,

I have the similar kinda problem. Swelling of knuckles of both hands and foot. My doc prescribed me 'Medrol ', 'Omez ff' and 'Hifenac SR'. I 'm alright when i take medications continuously. If i stop taking those prescribed medicines even for a day, causes the same problem. I don't what disease is this. Doc didn't tell about that. These are the symptoms for what disease? and whats the permanent cure for it.

Thanks n Regards,
Sarwanster.

Seems we have discovered a new epidemic without a name. I too suffer from swelling and pain in my right middle and pointer fingers. I chalked it up as working hard and being right handed. I deal with it but thought about seeing a Dr. Glad I read this post, seems it would have been a waste of time and money. Thanks guys.

Similar symptoms : NON-SWOLLEN knuckles of left hand are stiff & painful first thing in the morning and tend to lock up in the closed position when I make a fist; sometimes needing prising open. Vigorous exercise of the hand for 20-30 minutes results in the pain and stiffness disappearing. I am right-handed, and for many years my right hand was subjected to heavy physical work - but shows no similar symptoms !

Anyone care to comment ?

I have had the same painful problem with my middle finger and thumb knuckle, swollen and painful. I found the only thing that has worked. When I get a flare up I immoblize the finger for about a week or so. I actually had my thumb in a cast for two weeks and I have had no more problem with my thumb joint for 3 years. The middle finger is more difficult to immoblize because it is on my left hand and I am left handed. But I do know that if I stop complete use of the finger, the swelling goes away and no longer jurts. Once I heal the knuckle with not using it, it stays well for a long time, like about a year or more.. This works for me. It was a doctor that originally made me aware how to stop this inflamation by immobilizing the finger. It worked and I use this method when the condition occurs.

My wife is having similar problems as described on this post. My wife received a flu shot this year but I did not. They are now combining the Swine flu and regular flu shot together. Maybe something is going on with this combo flu shoot?