I suddenly noticed severe pain when bending my little finger towards my palm. It is only on my left finger and pain is only at the knuckle level and not any other joints of my finger. I don't remember injuring it. I do have relatively tight shoulder but in good health otherwise. What could be the cause of this?

Health Advisor
Hi my brother started having similar problems with his hand a few years ago. He had even stranger symptoms that you do. He had a pain in his whole hand, had tingling feelings from time to time, stabbing pains and finger pains.
They just appeared suddenly and our friend who is a doctor said this could be due to many different disorders and then he should be checking it asap.
He was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome, something I didn’t even know it existed before. When I did some reading on the topic, I learned that these symptoms that my brother had resemble many other disorders and diseases. Most of them were musculoskeletal like tendonitis, or bursitis and even arthritis but some systemic disease like lupus could be causing them as well.

Dude, The same thing is happening with me! Unexplainable, severe knuckle pain on my left pinky...

I know iy sounds silly but I can't bend it and I am a pianist by trade! I have no recollection of injuring it

at all.....Oddly, I had broken my right wrist, (a stupid bicycle accident) and through 2 years of PT and cortisone etc...

am nearly back to normal on that hand, and this comes up on the unaffected hand out of NOWHERE! and hurts just

as much, but only in that one joint!... I am up tonight trying to figure this out....please be in touch if you have any

news and I will do the same....Neil

Usually with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome the little finger isnt affected because the Carpal Tunnel only goes to the Thumb, Index, Middle and Half the ring finger... The other half of the ring finger and the little finger are generally Unaffected ! If its only the Little finger.. Chances are its Not Carpal Tunnel..

Says my doctor anyway !

I am 65 years old . Recntely ( ab. 2-3 months ) my left hand , little finger area I feel pain , like knife cutting for a couple of minutes.Then it is recover to normal. I am sure the problem will last and increase for the near future.

What are possible causes ?

I shall be pleased for the reply.

Thank you very much for your guidance and suggestions in advance.

Quote:

anonymous wrote:

news and I will do the same....Neil

I have the exact same pain on y left hand, on the joint of my pinky finger, hurst like craxy when trying to bend or clench hand, no strength in hand, came out of nowhere, no injury, have had for a week, any news?

I have had the exact same thing happen to me in my right pinky. Yesterday, I noticed the pain had spread to my top knuckle in my ring finger next to it. I have no idea where this came from! I haven't hit my hand or anything.

Have your vitamin D checked. They do not normally check vitamin D in annual blood tests, so it wont show up unless they specifically look for it. I had similar pains in another finger, as well as left leg below knee and left arm above the elbow. It turned out I was vitamin D deficient. They put me on high doses of vitamin D and the pain went away.

I have had pain in my fingers for years. First they thought it was a trigger finger and I was about to have surgery, then it got better. Even if I hit my fingers accidentally, I have excrutiating pain. Just recently, I started thinking that maybe it is my blood pressure medicine Toprol or possibly Norvasc. Anyone else on this medicine and have finger joint problems. Right now the pain is in my left ring finger and pinky. I cannot bend it, I have been off the toprol for 2 days and seems to be a little better.

yes, i have pain in my little finger by the joint (knuckle) & I am on BP medicine, Norvasc, the doctor just increased the dose f
from .5ml to .10 ml. chould my pain be due to this. my little finger bends & stays that way for few seconds & when i try to
straighten it it makes little clicking noise. i will be calling my doctor regarding my BP medicine. Let me know if there is any
other informaiton out there. thank you.

Apart from the Vitamin D mentioned, did anybody find any other solutions to this?  My left pinky started hurting out the blue yesterday.  Just woke up today and it feels worse, and I have no idea what to do.

Hi, I have the same thing going on with my pinky finger as well, it feels like a bruise inside maybe idk, the only thing I can think of is that I was working out with resistance bands the other night, or I thought maybe I was stung by a somthing at the beach! Did any find anything out yet? 

The pain can very well be consistant to RA Arthritis. This is a very serious condition and should be checked promptly. Don't want to scare anyone, but this was the very first sign for me. The pinky or knuckles is the idea place where RA starts.

My middle finger on my right had is giving me the same problem.  I did not injure or even over work it. The pain woke me up from my sleep.  When I run hot water on my hand the pain eases up a bit and the mobility of my finger increases also.  Just don't know whether or not to be worried about this.

I know it's not vitamin D.  Our bodies make vitamin D when we get sun light. I spent plenty of time in the sun just a few days before this happened. 

I have the same problem. Tenderness and pain in knuckle of little finger of left hand and occasional burning sensation in finger and, less frequently, in outside edge of the palm. Also a slightly frozen shoulder -- when holding my left arm behind my back, highest point of contact is about six inches lower than when using my right arm.

From research, I believe the 'connecting' issue may be the ulnar nerve that ends in the little finger. This passes through the elbow, but at present, I do not have any elbow pain. I play golf regularly -- recently twice a week.  That appears to put strain on the little finger, especially when I hit a bad shot! The knuckle in the little finger gets inflamed whenever I play and seems to be getting gradually worse. I apply anti-inflammatory ointment to the knuckle at night which helps. So too does hot water. I have yet to try the obvious cure -- give up golf for a month or two.

I suspect if I get my frozen shoulder unlocked and fully mobile again, the pain in my little finger may also ease. I wonder if anyone has had experience of this?