Yesterday 11-12-13, I was working on my car and I accidentally hit the tip of my ring finger with a 2 pound rubber mallet. It is now bruised and swollen. I have already tried icing it during the night but it seems to be getting worse. Is this just what happens? How long until the swelling and discoloration goes away? 

It may take a few weeks to return to somewhat normal and probably much longer to get to "it never happened".

I got the 2nd knuckle of my index finger jammed between some logs about a month ago. It wasn't broken, I could still bend it, but it sure hurt when I did. The blood blister that was deep under the skin is gone now, the swelling is gone, the numbness has nearly gone and I can almost bend it to a full curl. I can use it to unscrew a bottle cap now but it is still tender and hurts when I wipe my nose with that knuckle.