I am a 40-year-old female in excellent health. However, about ten days ago, I noticed swelling and mild discomfort in the knuckle of my little finger. I thought I'd been bitten by a spider or somethign. It got a bit red and itched some, I applied a baking soda & water bath, and it seemed to vanish. Days later (nearly a week ago), it returned in the pinky as well as the ring finger next to it. They are both now more swollen, red and icthier than before (although still not too severe ... the swelling is worse though and it's tough to bend those fingers). I've tried hydrocortisone cream, antibiotic cream, baking soda, you name it! I don't have a doctor. Any advice? HELP!

Hi there! I had similar problems, it’s just that I had the swelling and the redness in my big toe. It’s been sore for like a couple of days but then it all went down, to reappear soon after.

I went to see what’s going on because I got so worried because it came back. I found out I had gout. What is your nutrition like? Apparently, gout is caused by the buildup of uric acid in the joints. This happens when the liver produces more uric acid than the body can excrete in the urine, or when a diet high in rich foods produces more uric acid than the kidneys can filter from the blood. Excessive uric acid accumulates in the joints and causes swelling, inflammation, stiffness, and pain.

The doc I saw inserted a needle in my big toe and took a sample of the fluid, which was analyzed I guess. I was prescribed Naproxen to get rid of the inflammation.

If you don’t experience any relief soon, maybe you should pay for a doctor’s appointment because any swelling can be a sign of an underlying disease.

Have you noticed any other problems that appeared along with the swelling of your toes?

Hi Simone, did the swelling ever go away? Is naproxin only for reducing the inflammation? Was he able to find something that could resolve the uric acid build up?

If you are having a build-up of uric acid in your joints, you can try drinking UNSWEETENED cherry juice. It's no the best tasting stuff, but it's a natural way to flush your body.

I think you are looking at Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Gout. Possibly both.

Either way Gout can be fatal if untreated. If you can not afford a doctor go to the Emergency Room. They have to treat you regardless. I should know, I work there :-P

Is Rheumatoid Arthritis common in 29yo males?

The frequency of RA increases with age and peaks in persons aged 35-50 years. Nevertheless, the disease is observed in both elderly persons and children.

I don't mean to lead you into one diagnosis there are several possibilities given the symptoms you stated:

Amyloidosis, Calcium Pyrophosphate Deposition Disease, Cryoglobulinemia, Fibromyalgia, Hepatitis B, Hypothyroidism, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Lyme Disease, Mediterranean Fever, Familial, Multicentric Reticulohistiocytosis, Myelodysplastic Syndrome, Osteoarthritis, Paraneoplastic Syndromes, Polychondritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Psoriatic Arthritis, Sarcoidosis, Sjogren Syndrome, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Whipple Disease......to name a few.

Hi what if only a couple of my knuckles are red and itchy, not quite swollen though maybe a little?

Go online and get "Neem Cream Concentrate". You'll be glad you did. It'll work right away and it works great for other bites, itches, redness, etc.

HI MY RIGHT INDEX FINGER HAS BEEN ITCHY AND SWOLLEN FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS. NOW MY LEFT HAND KNUCKLE ON MY INDEX TOP IS POPPED WAY OUT LOOKING AND IS RED AND GETS PURPLEISH AR TIMES I WENT TO THE DR. TESTED NEG. FOR ALL ARTHRITIS. THE MORNINGS ARE THE WORST IT IS HARD TO BEND THEM. THEY GET BETTER DURING THE DAY BUT ALWAYS ARE SWELLED. I CAN LIVE WITH IT BUT I FEEL SO HELPLESS NOT KNOWING WHAT IT IS. FROM WHAT IVE READ IT IS PRETTY COMMON. I AM A DAY CARE PROVIDER OF 13 YEARS AND AM ONLY 35. PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE. THANK YOU

I have been searching the internet for an explenation to this. I get this all the time on my middle knuckles and they itch so bad that I scratch them and pick the skin off til the clear fluid comes out. I know that sounds gross, but now my knuckles look bulky from the scars it creates. Then it heals, then happens all over again.

my friend is experiencing the same sort of thing, and im not sure how to help her.

she went to the doctor and he said it wasnt arthritis but she should get an xray instead.

her 2nd and 4th fingers were initially swollen and sort of a purpley red colour and she said that they're also itchy. then the knuckle on her pinky finger started to do the same.

no one seems to know what it is, and im starting to worry about her. they seem to cause her discomfort and pain most of the time. i hope there's an answer for what this is :-(

It all started awhile ago when my left middle finger began to swell. I asked my aunt and she told me it was maybe because i jammed my knuckles to hard. So after a few months later it began to come back and worse. I started popping my knuckles on the left hand alot until i than realized that my finger on the right of my left middle finger began to become swollen and large. i panicked until i realized that i had to stop popping my knuckles even though it was tempting. so now both of my fingers on my left hand are swollen. What can i do because its hard to bend them both. 8-|

Mam i don't think you should evr say perfect health, is not a good thing because no one has perfect health, rely on this "today i feel better than before" what you have is small compared to others who have severe disieses and never saw a keyboard or heard of the internet, any area of the body can become infected and it was probably a bug of some sort, if anything clean the area with alcohol if its swollen put some ice on it and some menthol afterwards. May God have mercy on all who call out to him for help amen.

I had the exact same symptoms...itchy, red, swollen, stiff knuckle. I went to the dermatologist and found out it was a common cyst. A quick and painless shot to the area cleared it up in 2 days. You will drive yourself crazy reading all these posts. I strongly recommend visiting your dermatologist and having a professional solve your problem.