I am a 29 yo male. For the last 5 winters I have been getting small circular rashes on (mostly) my arms and upper chest. The rash starts as a small scaly patch and then grows eventually to the size of a dime.

They are always circular and fairly well defined but there is rarely a defined border, although the center is sometimes lighter.

Occasionally they will get red, but for the most part they are pink and the skin gets very scaly. They last anywhere from about 2 weeks to 2 months and almost always disappear by May. The patches remain scaly even after the period of inflamation has died down.

The patches are not itchy, and moisturizing cream does not help - until they have died down.

I should note that my wife suffers from rosacia and she is prescribed MetroGel which works wonders for her. I have put that on my skin before and it seem sto help.

It sounds like ringworm or another fungal infection but only really occurs between November and April when it gets cold and Dry - I live in Boston, MA.

If it is a fungal infection can it come back yearly? I am not a medical person but this sounds more like a viral thing - if it is infectious.

Also, I do remember having rashes like this when I was younger.

I swim a lot in the summer starting in early June and the salt water seems to clear up any patches that remain.

I have never gone to a dermatologist about it because the problem is relatively minor and at anytime I have no more than 5 or 6 patches and they do not itch.

Well, if you do want to get rid of them, you should pay a visit to a dermatologist. There is no way for you to figure out this on your own because there are over 2000 known skin conditions and a dermatologist may realize what it is just by looking at it.

I had similar problem with the rash on my hands. It wasn’t a real rash but dark red patches that would appear on my hands. The second day my hand would dry out and I would get small cuts as if the skin was broken. My both hands would turn out to be so rough as if I were 60 years old and working with roses my whole life. At the end, the hands would become scally until it would go away.
Then some time after, the whole story happens again. This happens only during winter and I noticed that most often when I wash something….dishes or things in the bathroom.

I couldn’t stand it any more. When I went toa dermaotlogits, the patches were of course gone (like always) but they could be seen in traces. She knew immediately what it was about and dhe even told me that many women have the same complaint.
She prescribed an ointment to apply on my hands when this happens as well as hand cream.

I was there in October-November. I haven’t had the patches since I started applying it.

SO, although your rash may seem minor and irrelevant, why not get rid of it if possible?

I was wondering if you ever found out what was causing the patches? I just started getting them about 3 weeks ago, around the first of January. I've never gotten them before, but I have 2 good sized ones right now and a couple more getting bigger. I've been using cortizone creme, but that's not doing any good yet. Any suggestions?

I have the same issues, one on my left arm, the other on my right side of my neck. They only appear during the winter months. I been using Rosebud Salve on them, and they go away after 2-3 weeks of using it on them daily. But they keep coming back in the same spots. The neck one has yet to return only the one on my arm.

I have been researching this for a while. It doesnt stay long enough and goes away by the time I make the time to go to the Derma but havent given me reason to become panic and run to the ER. I have had this since I was 13 when living in Alaska. I have treated it as a bacteria/ringworm with blue ointment creme and have went to the doctor when it first appeared, they wasnt sure what it was. It only comes during the winter months and/or during a dry season. When I changed soap recently, it appeared, so after years of research I assume it is a form of eczema. It have only appeared on my arms and legs and never been contagious. It is itchy at times, but cremes and butters gives relief. I can always tell I been abusing my skin when these come, bc the more attention I give it-fewer bathes, colder showers, more sunlight, more water, and heavier lotioning- the less break outs I have. I am planning on spening the cash and visiting a Derma soon, just so they can verify I havent been carrying around some awful disease all this time, but I am quite sure its just a strand of baad genes and dry skin. :$

Its nummular dermatitis

I have been experiencing the exact same thing as you during the past few months, rpupkin77. I am a 22 year old female, and I've been getting the small circular rashes on my lower legs (shin and calf areas). I have about 6 of them right now, and this is the first year I have noticed them appearing. They are scaly, but don't itch at all, and moisturizing doesn't appear to do anything to help. They do turn red sometimes, as you also noted. I have not made a dermo appointment yet, mostly because I am really busy, but intend to do so soon. I looked up nummular dermatitis and I don't think it's that, since they don't itch at all, they don't seep fluid, and they were never blister-like. Hopefully I'll find out soon what's going on! Since this post is really old, please enlighten us if you have determined the cause.

I have the same problem. I am 23 and have a reddish ring shaped rash on my shin. It does not itch or look like blisters- more like a skin discoloration. The skin is particularly dry in the middle of this ring with normal skin tone. I have had it now for a few weeks. Did you ever determine what this rash was/ what is causing it?

I'm 43 & I have them in the chest area every winter. I had ringworm at around 11 years old on the back of my neck. However, it only appears on my chest now.

All you have to do is get some ultra violet rays on your skin. Go to a tanning salon and pay about 15 dollars for a 20 minute session. The rash will dry up and redden and within a few days will be gone. If you go to the doctor, they will try the same therapy for much much more money...save the dough

I'm 20 years old, and I have the exact same thing! I know it's not ringworm, because it doesn't fit the description. It started out as a small, itchy red circle and got bigger over the last two weeks. Now it's about the size of a dime, and it's really really scaly, but lotion doesn't help at all.

im an 18 year old female and i have the same problem.
it started on one half of my body. on my right forearm and right leg, and now it's just starting to pop up on my left forearm.
it's also scaly, and disappears at random. one is a complete dime, where the inner is white, and the the others are just small clusters.
i've looked up all the things about rashes, but i know it's not anything t h a t serious.
or i may just have a mild case of something.
i just know it disappears when it wants to, puffs up and gets reder after a hot shower, and it's 'scaley.'
it's rather annoying, seeing it's exposed on my arms.
Anti-Fungal lotion doesn't seem to help but Hydrocortisone does.

I am a 77 year old female. When I was 4 years old had a severe case of ringworm all over from a cat. My head was shaved, and all they had at that time was "ammoniated mercury"...some yellow salve, however my sister, brother and I had X-ray treatments to break it up. My brother and sister missed a year of school, I was too young, but closest to the cat and the most severe case. When I was well, every year for 20 years in the spring I would get one large circle of ringworm on my inner arm.....it went away by itself...it's as tho it finally wore out in my body...but it was awful for us at that time. Imagine children wearing beanies beacause they have shaved heads....

I live in South Africa and my son has been suffering from the same condition you have described above for years.

Our GP doesn't seem to know what it is. She said it could be an allergy, a fungal infection or auto-immune. I have a medicine cabinet FULL of creams, allergy meds, and anti-fungal ointments that did not help and cost me a fortune.

It flairs up in the dry winter months. It's circular / coin in shape, small (about 1cm in diameter) with a scaly sort of ring that becomes red after a hot shower and a scaly centre. It looks like ringworm, but isn't. Anti-fungals don't work, cortisone ointments don't help, anti-hestamine has no effect, yet baby oil and camphor cream seems to alleviate the dryness. Not using coarse sponges also seem to help and I wash him with my hand. Also using soap-free / baby products on the skin and clothing seems to help to some degree and eliminating synthetic clothing that is worn close to the skin - especially underware and vest. Rather buy 100% cotton.

A local cyber doctor said that it's a form of seborrhoeic dermatitis,yet the pictures of it looks nothing like the one we've all been describing.

If anyone can name this thing, that would be half the battle won.

Hi everyone,

I may have something of interest to you all.  A few years ago my son came home from school w/news of something called: Fifths Disease.  Long story short; his best friend had it & we ended up getting it. I seems to reappear when immunity is low & stress is high.  Here is a link:  http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dlcderm.com/view.php%3Fid%3D155&imgrefurl=http://www.dlcderm.com/medicalservices/&usg=__HNFwEpxZkjYvqYPWudPY83cUK6A=&h=651&w=400&sz=25&hl=en&start=7&sig2=WOdpx7UVFkMxiTDRyMo9LA&zoom=1&tbnid=1u1rOlb_k-d5zM:&tbnh=138&tbnw=85&ei=XcH-TcLdOsTViAKyttXSDA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfifths%2Bdisease%2Bpictures%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D800%26bih%3D515%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1