I'm sitting here just over the most horrific inner thigh cramp!! I get the all the time. The truth is UNLESS YOU EXPERIENCE IT YOURSELF (hope to GOD you won't) you'll NEVER know how PAINFUL this is... To me it feels like your thighs are being torn apart... I'm a 50 year old man (that lives alone) it is so severe that I CRY and feel so helpless, no one to help me get out of bed. I mean in the middle of the night I wake up frantically yelling NO, NO, NOOO,NO, NOOO, (my poor neighbors probably thinks I crazy). Like I said I just had one and I'm so tired but still I'm afraid to fall asleep again... It's a very scary thing to have and a very sad thing to be afraid to go to sleep.... I feel for all my fellow "crampers" out there. I'm sorry for your pain....

PS... Heat and vigorious rubbing works best for me so I sleep with my BLOW DRYER in bed...lol 

This is EXACTLY what I experience.. and how I react! I feel your pain! I am a 44 yr old male. In July 2013 (last year) I had an Anterior Knee Ligament reconstruction AND high tibeal osteomoty (HTO) .. THEN in Dec 2013 I had to have the HTO AGAIN in December (because they stuffed it up). 

Only really got back to normal in the past three months and everytime I work it (i.e. walking, or a big bike ride) I get the dreaded night cramps. 

The other day I woke and it was so excrutiating I was in tears yelling NO NO in the early hours of the morning. I pre-hydrated & strecthed before bed. Many people here are talking about having suplements with success. Vit D, B, Magnesium, Pottasium. So many things. What is best? How much, how often, what dosage, what formulation? 

I have had these cramps for several years. Most of the time they occur in the evening or during sleep. The pain is beyond belief. You often end up screaming. After searching a long time for remedies, I have found several things that have helped. I still get them occasionally, but now I can stop them. The main cause is not enough magnesium and potassium in your system, along with dehydration. I'm almost certain to get one in the night if I work outside and sweat a lot. This dehydrates me, reduces my minerals, and creates an electrolyte imbalance. What you need to do for prevention is to drink a lot of water during the day and before you go to bed, and take multimineral supplements, magnesium, and potassium. Magnesium chloride is one of the best to use. Take these with your dinner meal. Usually that will prevent night cramps. If you do get one, have a spray bottle of magnesium oil next to the bed and immediately spray both inner thighs with it. Easier said than done when you're dealing with the cramp. It's amazing that the cramp will go away within less than a minute. Try it and see.