I have recently been having sever, debilitating, paralyzing cramps so bad and break out in a sweat..feel like Im going to die from it...the only thing that worked for me is to eat baking soda and chase it with water...but have to drink from a straw in the glass as I cant raise my head to even drink the water..cant even move..totally paralized...leg draws up and foot twists too..this cramp is in the inner thigh only one leg at a time tho...no Dr. has any idea..people have also told me to drink tonic water for the quinine and take potassium pills drink more water and take magnesium too..also eat a banana...one even said to take a capful of vinegar,which also worked..but I have acid reflux so bad so that burned my throat..so no more vinegar..but that did work too the baking soda is the best for me for the quick fix when it starts..I have water and baking soda everywhere I sit and next to my bed...so paralized I could never go get anything..I also have to yell liker Im delivering a gorilla as the pain is the worst pain I have ever experienced...then inside of thigh that had the cramp is sore like bruised for days after ...drinking more water too to hydrate myself...but then drank too much fluid and now ankles are swelled up (edema) so baking off so much water...now taking soda as a preventive ..there is no warning with these so even have an open bottle of soda and a water bottle in the car console so if it happens tp me behing the wheel of the car..which it has on two occasions...what causes this?  am having echo test and vein asp test soon to see if something is wrong with vein blood flow or my heart...will keep this post going when I get results...

I have had the same thing for a year; I found that I could take 5 tums with calcium and the pain would stop in a few minutes; without taking them it could go on for an hour.  I have been reading and it might have to do with thyroid issues.  The pain obviously responds to calcium so I've started taking calcium and potassium pills.  I went without out them last week and the cramps were back.  Let me know if you find out anything; so far no doctor has listened or seemed concerned.  

Hi

I have also been suffering with excruciating leg cramp (right leg) for the past year.  It started when my L4/5 disc prolapsed and I was in agony 24/7 for almost a month by doctors and 2 trips to A and E, who said it was just bad sciatica.  I was almost passing out with the pain and my leg was in spasm from my hip to my toes.  Even being on extremely high dosage of diazepam (to relax the muscles) and maximum doages of tramadol and diclofenic the pain was unbearable.  I eventually had spinal decompression surgery which took the pain away straight away! The back consultant seemed to think it was unusual to get these cramps in response to the prolapse. I didn't have the cramps for a few months after but then they gradually started up again to the point where I was getting then up to 6 times a night (mainly in my hamstrings, shin and foot).  I tried high dosage of magnesium which worked well for a couple of weeks but then this wore off and they were back as bad as ever.  The doctor has since put me on Quinine Sulphate 300mg which has stopped the cramps overnight although the tablets do leave me feeling restless. It would be helpful to know anything else you've found helpful as I don't want to be on this long-term. Thanks.  Hope you have improved.

ok, i guess my first reply didnt work. I too, believe i was having a heart attack or at the least, going to pass out from these horrible excruciating cramps. I have large veins in my inner thigh and it feels like someone is trying to pull them from the top and bottom at the same time.  i woke up again last night with this incredulous pain in my thigh and then my foot cramped up also. For the last 10 years on and off..im going to try quinine (tonic water) because its sounds like that might work the best (and has salt in it)..sounds like a circulation problem but everyone you talk to about it either thinks theres something crazy about you or they just dont get it. I have to date, know of any Doctor with an answer so dont waste your money...this cramp comes on out of the blue without you having to do anything but most of the time sleep...when your body is at rest..makes no sense...if anyone thinks they may have an answer, i would surely love to hear it....please, i already know about bananas and salt and electrolyte drinks...i believe something else is going on in our bodies and no one can pin point it, not even the doctor....

I can't even describe the pain from the cramps I am having in my right inner thigh.. I almost passed out in the bathroom.. I read on one forum that it could be the BP meds that I am taking but if I can remember, I believe this was going on before I started those meds.. Has anyone found out anything else since the last post?? I'm begging.. I can't take this pain any longer.. Thanks

Some blood pressure meds deplete potassium (particularly those with a diuretic) and this can lead to excruciatingly painful leg cramps. I take Losartan and my doctor also gave me an Rx for Klor-con 8 to replace the potassium I was losing. It did the trick thank GOD!!!

Drinking plenty of water, eating calcium rich food and nutrient dense fresh fruit and vegetables, regular stretching and exercise and proper rest will help you avoid cramping.

Try not to sit or lay in awkward positions where you could potentially restrict blood flow to your limbs.

I have had these same unspeakably excruciatingly painful inner thigh cramps on and off for about 15 years.  A friend also suffers with them--she calls them "come to Jesus" cramps, because they are so excruciating she thinks she is dying and prays to do so.  I feel the same way.  Normally I get them in my left leg OR my right leg, but occasionally I get them in both legs at once.  Truly, I pray to die--nothing has worked to relieve these cramps.

Very early this morning, the cat jumped on the bed and landed on my foot, which startled me awake and made my left leg jerk--which started one of the inner thigh cramps.  The cramp became persistently worse, spreading from its usual site about six inches up from my knee on the inner thigh.  It spread up to my groin and down to my shin, then grabbed my left foot and twisted it hard.  The pain was so horrible that I could not help crying out, over and over again.  I felt that I was going to vomit, then broke into a sweat, then into a cold sweat.  Then the cramp spread to my right inner thigh and would. not. let. up, not in my right leg and not in my left leg.  Honestly, I thought that I would die and that if dying would stop the pain, I was willing to go.

This god-awful torture lasted for nearly 20 minutes.  Nothing helped and I could not move for fear of exacerbating the cramps.  When I tried to shift position in bed hoping that the cramp might ease up, it merely became worse.  Finally, finally--after such a long time, the cramps began to ease off, first in one leg and then in the other.  By the time it was time to get up, I felt as though I had been run over by a truck, beaten up from the inside, and too exhausted to go about my business.  All day I have barely been able to walk, because both legs have been limp and weak from the trauma of these cramps.I am a senior citizen and am too old to go through this horror much longer.  Someone has to figure out a 'fix' for these cramps.  Doctors simply don't know and generally don't care--or they look at me like they would like to twirl a finger close to their ears--the classic sign for "CRAZY PATIENT". 

Is there no help?

I have posted a few times concerning these unspeakably excruciating inner thigh cramping. Even passed out a few times. Heart goes into AFIB. I can cramp on demand. Having said this, a week ago I started with a calcium, magnesium, and Zinc supplements.

They are gone and just can't believe it. Don't know if it will last, however I will take the relief for the time being. 

Just want to pass it along and really hope it will help someone else

has anyone also added stretching to their daily routine?? sit on the floor with your feet approx 1.5m apart now lean forward as far as you can it helps if your partner stands behind you and pushes on your shoulders you will feel the inner thigh being stretched, the idea is to push yourself to the point were the pain in the inner thigh is at your limit then hold it for 10secs, relax and repeat 10 times do this daily 

I read through all these posts and I have exactly the same thing for 13 years I've been going to Mike about 6 different doctors trying to find somebody to help me with this and all they can say " well you know people get cramps in their " they clearly have no freakin idea what we're all talking about my dance partner found this for me and he couldn't take it anymore the police were called my house the last one I had with so bad. I had 5 attacks and 6 days I truly wanted to put a gun in my mouth and my dance partner said we're going to find out what's wrong with you...... he got me ....... magnesium taurat.... maybe cardiovascular research I think of the name of its a white bottle with the kind of red label you can also get it online I just saw it and it works you know that little Flickr a pain you first get those inner thigh muscles immediately take two.... if you're having a lot of pain start with 4 it may give you put in poop but the pharmacist said take an iron supplement with it that will balance that out it will give you the .... like I said earlier five of these attacks and stays I wasn't going to go through it again ik I wouldn't even lay down in and you all know it only happens when you're busy or you're laying down but.. I have tried everything to I've tried every stupid prescription.... take two before you go to bed and keep if you buy the bed if you wake up during the night had that little slick a pain and you know what I'm talking about take 2 more... I promise you this will work!!!!!! praise God for my friend who found this for me when I ate different doctors didn't care just looked at me like I was nuts and didn't know what I was talking about and then I found this I guess you call this a blog..... I don't even know... but I've been looking online now for the last 5 or 6 years for just googling severe inner thigh cramps muscles and finally just recently found this... you get this make me them tar rated free body and I promise you it will work and edit I have not had it at 1. Attack since I started taking this about a month... give God all the glory and praise for this ... a natural thing that HE us that will cure this

I too suffer from inner thigh cramps they are the most painful cramps I have ever experienced.  They can wake me up from a dead sleep, they last several minutes with the cramps painfully rolling up and down my inner thigh. They don't streach out like a calf or foot cramp.  I keep a bottle of water on my night stand because I have found that drinking lots of water helps it subside quicker, I have also found a pill that helps it is called Endurox Excel.  Once I have had a cramp I start taking the Endurox Excel for a few days (2 in the morning and 2 at bedtime) because once the cramps start at night they tend to keep reaccuring for a while.  If I increase my water intake and take the Endurox Excel I don't experience any more cramps.  You can find the Endurox Excel at stores like GNC or even on line.  The box says the pills are made up of Ciwujia 600mg and Vitamine E 30 IU. I asked my doctor if they were safe and he told me that he did not see a problem with me taking them.

have you had your thyroid levels tested?

This was over a year ago so I hope this finds you. I have suffered sever and disabling cramps in my thighs that are beyond description. No one has the answer to why they are happening. I have discovered some things that have helped. Number one...get a heating pad and keep it close at night. Plugged in and ready to turn on right by the side of your bed because as you know when the cramp grabs your leg you cannot move.. Wrap that pad around your thigh or on top of the cramp and you will notice that as soon as the heat begins the cramp will lessen and eventually go. If you have no heating pad available then press with all your might into the muscle and keep pressing . I have bruised my leg badly from the pressure but it is the only thing that can lesson the pain. It does no however make the cramp go away just makes it barable till the cramp goes away eventually. Moving suddenly at night can cause them and stretching can cause them so beware. I have lived with them for years and believe me I understand the pain. No one can understand that it feels like the bone is going to break from the twisting muscle spasm. I have also found that a daily dose of calcium, magnesium and D3 and potassium helps and in fact if you are faithful with the supplements you will notice that they dissipate a lot. If you are on your feet all day then they are worse... working or hiking or walking a good part of the day is disastrous if you suffer from these cramps. God Bless you.... these are the most brutal cramps imaginable.

THIS IS THE ANSWER if you are taking Losartan for bloodpressure. My cramps are as described above. also combine a calcium and magnesium regiment. When my dr doubled my bp meds the cramps became more regular. thanks for your reply....

I too have had that pain and would quickly use my belt or a rag or anything to make a tourniquet out of just above the pain and pull tight. In a minute it would be gone but left me exhausted. I started taking potassium and drinking lots of water. Over a year now I have been free of the 'death grip' but once in awhile I get the 'twinge' and will straighten up or get up and walk.easier Dec 2013