i get terrible cramps in my inner thigh they are so severe that i can't move to get up and the pain is terrible. i have quinne pills from the dr. but have been told that they are now off the market so i don't know what i can do i just sit and cry and try to move so i can walk and try to get it out i can't bend my leg or they gget worse and to try to rub it is extremly painful what can i do i get them all the time but the dr. can't explain it i don't thin he knows how bad they really are.

I am a 39 year old female who regularly suffers with exactly the same symptoms you describe. I too find myself in agony with these cramps. They happen when I'm resting, and I cannot move as the pain is so severe. If I try to stand I end up in a cold sweat and feel close to passing out.

My doctor has tested me for circulatory problems but says this is fine. I had a severe episode a couple of years ago when I ended up in Casualty. They suggested taking multi-vitamins and sent me home with a couple of muscle relaxing tables (Valium if I remember correctly).

I am off work today as I had another episode last night, and my left inner thigh is painful today, as if the muscle is strained. This condition keeps me awake at night, I have now had four days of managable cramps in my lower legs, then last night I experienced the severe attack.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful, I'm at my wit's end!

I feel for you! I also suffer from te same kind of extreme upper thigh cramps. The pain is awful! It takes everything I can muster up to stand up. It feels as if some wild animal has a hold on me and won't let go. I cry out everytime. So very painful. The only thing that helps me is ice. I buy those big blue freeze blocks they use in coolers. I keep several in the freezer just for the cramps. I try to walk it off and apply the ice at the same time. This cramp is not like a calf cramp or foot cramp. It's a whole other deal.

Maybe you can get some of the instand ice packs the rescue squads carry. Since you can't get out of bed maybe they will help some if you have them near your bed.

Please anybody out there. Have you found something that helps! Some sort of preventive?

I experienced my very first thigh cramp two nights ago and it brought on I think a panic attack, I freaked out and called 911. The pain was so bad, never had anything like it before it felt like someone shocked me or something. I also believe it was caused by a stressful situation at home, I read up on them and that seems to be the case from many sources I have read. Another thing with my situation was it happen in the leg where I have a big varicose vein and it made it very sore.

I also suffer from the occational severe thigh cramp. They are worst after prolonged exercise, especially in the heat. Prevention is important. Stretching, hydration etc. BUT when you get a cramp there is a manouvre you can do that takes it away immediatly. As soon as you feel it coming on, stand up and bend forward from your waist while keeping your legs straight. You may need to push on your knee(s) in order to straighten your legs completely. You may also need to move slightly to the right or left depending on exactly which muscle is in spasm. You will feel the spasm fade immediately. Then stay in that position for a few minutes while massaging the affected muscle. Once the spasm is gone completely, slowly straighten your back. If the spasm starts to return, get back into the same position and start over. It may take five minutes or so for the whole thing to pass. Then go drink a litre of an electrolyte solution like Poweraid. Good luck

I too, have been dealing with horrible thigh cramps. I had a really bad one this morning. I have been on the couch ever since with a heating pad. When these extreme cramps set in, you'd think I was in labor as much as I scream and cry. One thing I haven't heard anyone else say, is if their cramps "travel". Mine will hurt inside my thigh for a minute or two, then hurt in the front, or down around my knee, then back again. I have my boyfriend put hot wet towels on my thigh and then rub very hard. I saw a Dr about it a couple of months ago. He suggested that my potassium may be low and that eating bananas wouln't be enough to help, and put me on supplement pills. I've been taking them for about 5 months, to no avail. I am still hurting. I'm seeing another Dr on Thursday and will update you all.

i have just been woken up (04.38) by a cramp in my inner thighs, i felt as if i 'd been stabbed or shot. The pain is so unbearable, i scrammble round my bedroom trying to stretch out what seems to be an unstretchable cramp. The cramp is so painful i've gone from being in a deep sleep to physically passing out, my heart rate has increased ten fold, i'm in tears, i try to find a position where i can get down stairs as i have some quinine tablets my mum gave me.
I need to get them before my entire lower body goes into some kind of excruciating muscle ripping cramp.

I can physically see my muscles cramp, so tight that i feel they will rip from the bone. I have never felt pain like it.

This is the first time it has happened for a while. In the past the thing that works almost immediately for me is drinking sachets of electrolyte replenishment drinks. Get them from boots the chemist. Uszed for severe dehydration.

The best thing is quinine if you can get them.

I've just took some diazepam with some quinine tablets as i never want that pain again. :-(

I too suffer with the occasional cramps in my legs in various places. They are so excrutiating that I think I will die. So, what I have learned besides making sure I am drinking enough water, Gatorade, and Powerade...is to use my electic blanket and keep it on all night, on low. It keeps the circulation going and helps tremendously.

Mine started in my calves, which I learned to point my heel/rather than my toe immediately. My inner thigh, me or my husband will push the cramp the opposite direction it is pulling in and hold it there until it releases. A friend at work told me to jump out of bed, the minute I feel one coming on and stand still and bend forward...that works short term. The latest cramp was my outer thigh, that one was puzzling and painful, it felt like a board was stuck in my leg. My husband applied icy hot and rubbed it, I used heat, I took a hot shower. I was draggin my leg for a good hour. The next day I was so sore. I could walk, but, hurt still all day. I was woken up at 2:30 and managed to sleep for 1 hour with the pain, and was awoken again by another cramp at 3:30...then I stayed awake nursing my leg until 7am. I took a pain killer and covered up with a blanket.

I hope my methods help someone else...and if you know of a better method for this last one...please pass it on to me.

Thank You!

I am 49 and I also get sever inner thigh cramps. The pain is so bad at the time it feels like that area is being squeezed tighter and tighter and there is no relef. My husband will try to rub it out, but it so painful it seems like nothing works. The pain just has to take its 5 minute or 2 course. My Mom has the same problem. She told me to bite my bottom lip when the pain starts. I tried it, it helped some. But I find it helps in the being only. She also told me to stand on the cold kitchen or bathroom floor. But what I found out when I had my last episode. Was the bend from the waist as suggested earlier. Bending from the waist, keeping your legs straight, touching the floor with my hands. I'm looking for anything that will stop these very painful, bring my to tears cramps, help.

After several hours of hiking, sweating lightly, and then taking a nice nap on the couch, both of my legs suddenly cramped in the thighs and lower legs with a never experienced severe pain and panic on my part. I'm 57 year old male in moderate physical condition so it's like "what's broken now?". Went to urgent care. Tested me for calcium, potassium, and manganese but all was well. Dr. said try drinking "pickle juice" for cramp prevention. My mother, a retired nurse said bite the lower lip to stop leg cramps. Accupressure points include the upper lip per some web info. I'll do anything suggested to prevent or stop this from ever happening again. Got any pickle jiuce?

I have experienced this excruciating pain off and on over the past twenty years. It is so bad at times that it brings tears to my eyes and no amount of stretching etc seems to help. I take Quinine Sulfate, it's still available, and also direct hot water, in the shower, on the affected muscles. Full relief comes within minutes and a good nights sleep follows.
I hope this is of some help to fellow sufferers.
Bill

i'm a 49 year old female and i've had inner thigh leg cramps...sometimes both at the same time and i get rid of them rather quickly and don't have any lingering pain when i shake some salt quickly in my hand and then lick the salt out of my hand, drink a large glass or two of water and then take a metal tray and apply the metal tray directly onto the cramping area. keep the salt, some water and a metal tray near your bed for quick relief and so you don't need to walk to the kitchen. i would not suggest anything hot...cold is what relieves my cramps. a large frozen bag of blueberries really works well and easily wraps the cold around your inner thighs. try it next time. no emergency room necessary.

I too have been suffering from severe inner thigh cramps. Also cramps to the lateral (outside) of my shin bones, and in my belly near my belt line. I awoke this morning with cramps in all places i had mentioned, So debilitating all I could do was cry out to my wife. They were so bad and this may be too much info. that I actually had to relieve my bladder into a towel because the pain was so bad and couldn't move! This has been going on for several weeks now, I had blood work done last week and all was normal. I am also on soma, a muscle relaxer that doesn't seem to do a bit of good. All I can say is I feel all of your pain and if anyone seen a doctor about this, your frustration as well. Heat does seem to work best for me, Kind of sad when I lay down to go to sleep I feel like a baby needing their blankey, I need my heating pad.

This is relatively new to me - just had my second episode. This pain rivals that of a kidney stone in intensity. Unlike a charley horse where if you jump up and stand on the leg, the pain usually goes right away, that doesn't work for this pain.

In my case the pain alternated between my inner thigh and calf. Woke me out of a sound sleep at 1:45 am. Lasted between 5-10 minutes. By 2am, the pain was mostly gone - had no lingering soreness either.

I already take a daily potassium supplement, so I don't think that's the problem.

At 2:30 a.m. (last night) I went to roll over and BAM my right inner thigh went into severe spasm. It hadn't happened in two years so I knew what I was in for. The pain was so intense that the act of breathing was exascerbating it and I had to get my breathing down to almost non-existant. The thought of even trying to move in order to get up to stretch or bend would be out of the question as it was physically impossible to do. I broke out into a sweat and my heart started pounding. Childbirth was a walk in the park compared to this pain. I wanted to grab the area and squeeze it (or rip it out) but again, unable to move. It lasted a half hour and then when it finally did ease up, I was unable to rest, thinking that any second it would fire off again. Finally fell asleep at 5:30. Now it's almost time to go to bed again, and I'm really really frightened. I drank a lot of water today and also called my doctor who made note of it in my file and is having my thyroid tested (but that's a bi-annual thing for me as I'm hypothyroid). I don't know what it was that caused this but it's terrifying and just typing this made my heart rate elevate. If anyone finds any information, please do share it with us. Thanks for listening..and good luck to us all!