Thanks to all of you for sharing this helpful information. I only recently began having these searing, deep, rolling, steel-trap like clenching cramps and thought I must have some horrible disease. They always wake me from a sound sleep, and are most often both legs. Mine migrate over time up and down my inner thighs, really grabbing at my inner knees. There isn't a usual progressions - they stay somewhere a while, then push on, stopping somewhere else, until after about 5 minutes they start to fade away and finally are gone, leaving me sore for days, sweating, and nauseous. :-(
I went to the store and bought Gatorade and V8 tonight, then got home and noticed the V8 has lots more potassium. I'll experiment and see what works, although as someone else noted, they don't happen (at least to most of us) on a regular schedule. It's bizarre because I've changed nothing in my routine - I've always taken 3 or 4 kick box and step classes weekly and drink lots of water. Interesting that someone said to try not eating before bed. I'll give that a try too - whatever it takes. And if/when they happen again I'll try the bending at the waist, if I can get into the position to do so. Really it just contorts me to where I can't move like a normal human being until they finally fade away on their own sweet time.

But I so appreciate knowing it isn't just me, and hearing what has helped others. Thank you! :-)

Extreme physical exertion can cause involuntary muscle spasms later in the day or night. Charlie horse cramps also tend to run in families. As little as 5 to 10 minutes of warmup and stretching exercises prior to your kick boxing and step classes may help prevent muscle cramps from recurring.

I also have a problem with the inner thigh cramps. When it happened I could not walk and could only start screaming. I have never before in my life had a pain so severe. I have been using a product called Hyland's Leg Cramps and it seems to help. It is a homeopathic remedy and contains quinine or quinine sulfate. A friend said she uses a spray on magnesium and I have tried it. Seems to help. It is absorbed throug the skin. You do have to be careful that you don't use too much as it is also has a laxative action. I have had a mulitude of blood tests done and nothing in them accounts for the cramp problem. Good luck.