My father is diagnosed with colon cancer with metastases and I heard doc saying its inoperable cancer. I thought my dad will be operated and would like to know what term inoperable means?

Well I’m sorry but as you may suppose it the term inoperable cancer means that the cancer had spread beyond the colon meaning that it now has metastasis. In your dad’s case the colon cancer have probably spread over the liver, lymph nodes and other vital organs and there’s no chance to save his life by surgery. Surgery in this case won’t help and the only thing he can do is to wait for…I dislike saying this but maybe it’s better for you to get prepared on the unavoidable… for I know how you must be feeling because this is how may dad ends up. Anyway you may start thinking that if your dad had colon cancer maybe you’re at the same risk for one of the main factors that causes colon cancer is genetics. In my family I’ve got four members that have died from colon cancer so now I decided to have a colonoscopy just to avoid the possible situation of inoperable cancer one day in the future.

I am not sure who wrote that last post, but it was crazy. My dad had inoperable colon cancer, it had only spread to his abdominal wall and he responded very well to chemotherapy. All inoperable means is that it is not in a form where they can operate. It may have spread,, but not necessarily to other vital organs (as was the case with my dad).