Can someone tell me what photodynamic therapy is about for my dad has been recently diagnosed with esophagus cancer and he is suppose to treat this illness by having this therapy staring tomorrow? It is been a while now my dad has trouble swallowing and it looks like he was lucky enough to found out he has hot esophagus cancer of early stage but what borders me is the fact that he isn't going to have no surgery just this photodynamic therapy and I would like to hear how this therapy would help him fight esophagus cancer? Thanks much!

When the patient with esophagus cancer is suppose to have this photodynamic therapy that usually means that there is no risk of metastases or some other complications that usually accompanied esophagus cancer so your dad has early stage esophagus cancer basically it means your dad has early stage esophagus cancer. Anyway he would get a drug injection so that this drug could stay there in cancer cells for some prolonged time destroying them. Than the doc would use some laser light directed to the esophagus in order to destroy more further those cancer cells. That is all I know about this for my friend's mom was diagnosed with esophagus cancer last year and had exact the same therapy and I remember her skin and eyes were very sensitive for few weeks after this therapy and she also needed to wear sunglasses all the time outside for the couple of weeks and of course she had trouble swallowing during this recovery period.