I recently noticed a significantly weight loss which is a welcome thing but I didn’t do anything to lose weight. This weight loss simply happened for no reason and I think it has something to do with colon cancer. And how I come to this idea? Well my dad’s brother and also my aunt had and died of colon cancer. And before they were diagnosed I remember one thing –weight loss and the result was colon cancer. So I wonder now if it may be possible that my weight loss is colon cancer related.

You’ve come to a good idea as I would say for one of the symptoms of colon cancer is weight loss. I’ll tell you about other symptoms before I was diagnosed with colon cancer- I had blood traces in my stools, I was having abdominal pain and suffered often from constipation and finally unexplainable weight loss made mi visit a doc. This weight loss is sure indication that there’s some tumor somewhere along the colon line that is blocking the bowel. So my advice for you would be to have a screening test which is called colonoscopy – procedure that uses an instrument that is drawn into your colon in order to detect polyps which may be removed while colonoscopy. It is very important to get these polyps removed for they’re actually precancerous condition that if not treated may turn into invasive cancer whose consequences may be very unpleasant. I personally was lucky enough to avoid colostomy bag but no matter that I’m recommended to have a colonoscopy once in a year.

Phung, I have often read that weight loss and constipation can be signs of colon cancer.

How long did you have constipation for? Did you notice any other odd feelings in your gut beforehand?
And as to weight loss, how much did you have and how dramatic was it?
A few pounds? Many many pounds in a ridiculously short time?