Hi, guys. My father was hospitalized few days ago due some stomach problems. After thorough tests he is established to have stomach cancer. It is in the 3rd stage. I would like to know if this stage is fatal and what we can expect. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me something more.

Hi to you too. I am sorry to hear that. There are four stages. I won’t lie to you and tell you how this is not anything serious. 3rd stage means that all three or even four layers of stomach walls are affected. Usually, there are metastases in nearby lymph nodes. I won’t bother you with numbers and survival rates. Each patient is an individual and should be treated in that way. There are even cases of patients with stage IV who managed to survive for years. You should give your full support to your father.

i ahve my mom who is in the same condition..lets hope for the best..

My mother in law was diagnosed with Stage three stomach cancer and ovarian cancer. This is the first time I have seen that stage three means that three or four layers of the stomach walls are affected. We have always wanted to know exactly what is going on from the beginning but her oncoligist hasn't communicated with us at all. Our mother is 85 and we just want to keep her comfortable now. Not put her through chemo, she does have a port, but hasn't had treatment due to a fall.

Hello lorilee809...
Stomach cancer divided into 5 stages. Those are stage 0-4.
Stage 3, divided into three groups, least advanced to most advanced. The least advanced is called stage 3A, the one in the middle is stage 3B, and the most advanced is stage 3C
Stage 3A, colon cancer has reached the middle layers of the colon and spread to as many as three nearby lymph nodes.
Stage 3B, cancer is present in as many as three nearby lymph nodes and:
Has spread beyond the middle layers of the colon; or
Has worked its way into nearby tissues; or
Has extended through the colon wall into nearby organs (such as the bladder or ovaries) and/or stretched into the peritoneum – tissue that covers most of the organs in your abdomen.
The difference between Stage 3C colon cancer from Stages 3A and 3B is the number of lymph nodes involved. If a person has a stage 3 tumor and cancer is found in four or more nearby lymph nodes, it's considered stage 3C colon cancer.
According to the American Cancer Society, 83 percent of people with stage 3A colon cancer are still alive five years after their diagnosis, stage 3B (64 percent) and stage 3C (44 percent) are less encouraging.