So my last mental cycle was on February 4th 2013. My cycle is every 31 days so my period would of came on march 7th. I went to the doctor a week ago because I was having cramping back pain I spotted once when I wiped and I wasn't feeling me. Went to the doctor and he wanted to send me for a pelvic ultrasound to see what's going on since HPT were negative. Well still havnt got my period but 5 days ago I spotted again when I wiped. So tdday went for my pelvic ultrasound so she was doing it and when I was almost done she looks at me and asks about my period and said we need to do a intervaginal ultrasound. I was like how come? She said I can't give you information. (Usually they can't tell you what they see its the rule) so I was like okay.. And asked why they need to do a intervaginal ultrasound because it wasn't ordered for me to do and all she said was I just think we should to see something better.. In the end she couldn't tell me what she seen but have to go to the doctor Friday..... I am now worried is it pregnancy or what If it cancer. So now I am over thinking everything :( anyone been through this or have advice?? Thank you!!!

Hi AK,

The "rule" is common.  This was a technician, not the doctor, and isn't supposed to give you results.

Usually called a trans-vaginal ultrasound, it can provide better imaging.

It could be related to a possible pregnancy or a cyst.  We really shouldn't speculate.

So even if I was pregnant she wouldn't of been able to tell me?

No, it is not their job to tell you of the results. They are not a doctor. They should send the results to your doctor for interpretation. Some facilities do interpret the results on site but again, they go to the doctor, not the patient.

In short, they are not supposed to diagnose but instead to only perform the test. If they are wrong there can be liability issues for themselves and the facility.

Hope it helps.

Yea that helps alot.... I just thought if i was pregnant they would just tell me. But they did say they are sending my results to the doctor and wil be there by friday. It just worried me when she did the transvaginal ultrasound when it wasnt even ordered

AK, the transvaginal ultrasound is can help them see structures clearer. The tech may have seen something and felt that in order to resolve it, this was the best option.

It may be their policy to just do it. Otherwise, your doctor would have to order it, you'd go back again and have it done. It adds more time/effort for everyone.

hey medic dan just wanted to update you

Took a pregnancy test this morning and it came out postive 1-2 weeks :)
So now just waiting for the ultrasound report :)

Hi AK,

Congratulations AK.

Best of luck!