Hey everyone.

Last summer I had a car accident while I was at the vacation. It was some drunk guy’s fault and since that I am having some heart problems. Maybe stress caused it, I am not sure but my doctors told me that they can’t know is this caused by stress or I am having heart issues since I was younger. They did some analyses and my husband took them for me. Now I am reading them and it says that I need to do some Troponin test. I don’t know what this test is. Can you tell me what troponin tests is and what does it show?

Hi Guest,

It's a blood test that looks for specific proteins, Troponin.  They are found in the blood when the heart tissue is damaged.

They can also indicate other problems OR even be the result of heavy exercise.

Hello there.

I have to agree with Medic – dan.

The troponin test measures the level of proteins called troponin T and troponin I in your blood. Well, these proteins are released when the heart muscle is damaged (such as heart attack).

If there is a big damage on your heart, the greater the amount of troponin T and I will be in the blood.

A blood sample is needed before you start with the test.

You usually don’t need to be specifically prepared to this. It doesn’t hurt at all, maybe you will feel the needle but it doesn’t hurt at all.

Hey everyone.

Tnx God that I found this topic because according to your comments I can see that this can be very dangerous condition and that there is very good reason why doctors are sending people to do troponin test, right?

Here is the story – my good friend’s mom needed to do this test but she told us that this is nothing serious and that she is healthy. Basically, troponin test is just a routine test according to her.

They told her that she needs to do this three weeks ago but she didn’t.

What can happen now?

Thank you!

Doctor usually recommend this test to be done when someone is having signs of a heart attack. They can also suggest this when someone is having angina that is getting worse, even tough there are no signs of a hearth attack.

You will probably need to repeat the test twice in the next 12 to 16 hours.

If the results are fine, you will be having :

Troponin I : less than 10 µg/L

Troponin T : 0–0.1 µg/L

If the test shows normal troponin levels only 12 hours after the chest pain has started, a heart attack is unlikely to have happened.

They suggested to a friend of mine to do this test and he did. We really didn’t expect the results to be anything but normal cause he had some chest pains only once and according to him, the pain didn’t last long even though it was intensive. I remember we went out the same night and we were joking about how sensitive he was, going to the doctor and all. When he received the results of the test, his troponin levels were very high and the doctor later told him that he might have suffered a heart attack. We were stunned.

Wow that must have been terrifying. I can only imagine.
I’ve been told to do this test too and so I did.
They took a blood sample which was worse for me than the angina itself cause I’m terrified of needles.
I also had to repeat it and the final results showed that my levels of troponin are completely normal which meant that no damage was caused to my heart.
It was a relief when a doctor told me everything was fine even though back then I had no idea what the test was supposed to show. I’ve never had problems ever since.

Hello there.

I think that everyone who have some heart issues should do Troponin test because this test is very helpful and it can show you a lot of things.

Troponin tests are primarily ordered to help diagnose a heart attack and rule out some other conditions with similar signs and symptoms. Usually laboratory tests will offer one test.

Troponin I and troponin T are proteins that analyses can show in your heart muscle and they are released into the blood when there is damage to the heart.

Troponin tests are also sometimes used to evaluate people for heart injury due to causes other than a heart attack.

Aurora-Borealis I am so sorry I completely ignored your post. I honestly didn’t see it.

Yes, there definitely is a good reason why the doctors told her to do this test. She probably had chest pain but she didn’t want your friend to be worried, that’s why she said it’s just a routine check-up.
And maybe you should not share this with your friend either.

Well, if her heart is damaged and she doesn’t reveal it by taking this test, I’m afraid she might suffer some serious consequences.
It’s hard for the doctors to help when they don’t know what they’re dealing with.

@Medic-dan what do you mean when you say that it can be a result of heavy exercise? You are saying that for example if I do an intense cardio I can have bad results on this test? Or you were referring to some extreme workouts at the gym such as weight lifting or something like that? @ ~Adriana~ Yes, it was very terrifying indeed, but the good part about it is that my friend has never had heart problems since then. He does have problems with high blood pressure from time to time, but that’s very rare. He is mostly well.

Hello everyone.

There is always a good reason why everyone with heart problem should do a troponin test. When heart muscle is damaged troponins leak out of cells and into the bloodstream.

Well, increased troponin levels are the indicators of myocardial infarction or injury in a person with chest pain or pressure. Troponin test require 5 mL of blood and collection of the sample takes only a few minutes.

After this you could have some discomfort or bruising. You also can also feel a little bit dizzy or faint. But that is all normal and you should calm a little bit after this test.