Mt daughter had serious symptoms of pain and some problem in his abdomen. Then finally, I decided to visit a doctor. After many diagnostic methods and examining, he diagnosed her. The doctor said her problem is intestinal obstruction, which I have never heard for before. Can you tell me more about it; I would appreciate anything you might say.

Intestinal obstruction involves a partial or complete blockage of the bowel. This results in the failure of the intestinal contents to pass through. Obstruction of the bowel may be caused by ileus, in which the bowel does not function correctly. However, in this problem there is no mechanical or anatomic problem. Other cause for problem called intestinal obstruction could be some mechanical cause. Paralytic ileus, also called pseudo-obstruction, is one of the major causes of obstruction, which occur in infants and children. In older children, gastroenteritis may be a cause of paralytic ileus, or intestinal obstruction. Sometimes this problem is associated with peritonitis and a ruptured appendix. While listening to the abdomen with a stethoscope her health care provider may hear high-pitched bowel sounds at the onset of mechanical obstruction. If intestinal obstruction has persisted for too long or the bowel has been significantly damaged, bowel sounds decrease, eventually becoming silent.