For the last two days I have been experiencing pain in the lower part of the abdomen and I noticed some mucus in my stool on two occasions. At the same time I have been experiencing problems with passing stool and I was wondering if all of these symptoms are related and if this could dangerous. Thank you

I often get cramps in the lower abdomen when I get constipated. It usually occurs when I haven’t had bowel movements in two days or so. The cramps are very sharp and present until I pass stool, so these two could be related. Mucus in stool is normal in small amounts but it could be also indicating some kind of gastro-intestinal problem. I know it could be from ulcers, or bowel obstruction which may occur due to hernia, or you could have IBS, etc. I reckon that you should see a doc if the problems persists.