Hello! I have heard that my very close childhood friend is in hospital. I live abroad and cannot go see her, so all the information I have I get from mutual friends who are in contact with her and her family. As far as I know she has a condition called ileus. As I understood it was caused by the hernia she previously had and didn’t have treated. I would like to know more about both these conditions. What are the complications and what is the mortality rate after paralytic ileus with hernia?

Hi! I guess that it got quite serious since she is already hospitalized, but I wouldn’t want to worry you since maybe doctors are just being careful. Ileus is basically a very bad case of constipation. There is no bowel movement, so anything you eat or drink stays trapped in your intestines. It can be caused by various factors including hernia. If it is treated on time it is not life threatening.

I would just like to add some additional information about hernia since that is what caused the ileus at the first place. Hernia usually appears when a portion of the tissue
which lines the abdominal cavity breaks through a weakened area of the abdominal wall. For example, this might happen if you lift something very heavy. Hernia can enlarge and can sometimes be dangerous if a piece of intestine becomes trapped inside. This is what has probably happened to your friend. And since her intestine is blocked the food she eats cannot get out which can lead to infection or cause the tissue to die which might even lead to gangrene.