My sister is 25years old and has had two laparotomy for intestinal adhesions this month with no real solution as the surgeon was not able to release the massive adhesions in her small intestine. 18days back she collapsed in pain and tests showed cyst in right ovary--we hospitalised her for cyst removal through laparoscopy. However when the surgeon started the procedure he found adhensions of intestine preventing him from reaching the cyst. Hence he performed laparotomy and removed 90% of adhesions as well as the cyst in the right ovary. We expected her to recover post surgery but she developed all systoms of sub acute intestinal obstruction. The surgeon took the conservative method of waiting for the intestine to sort on its own and she was put on parental feed for support and we aspirated bile and other liquids. We waited 12days post surgery this way and she developed high fever and chills. The doctor felt it was time to do another surgery where we can remove partial obstruction. He had done a gastrograffin study which indicated partial obstruction. However when we got into 2nd surgery, he found massive adhesions of intestine again and such that even after 3hrs of trying to undo them, he had made no progress. Just 1.5 feet of intestine was free and rest were all knotted up. Surgeon felt we could do a bypass of most of small intestine and connect the 1.5feet that is free to colon. However since this means a huge lifestyle change and not normal life for her, we took a call to maintain status quo and not perform the bypass. So she is currently recuperating from her 2nd surgery in two weeks and the massive adhesions remain. We are hoping for nature to help by intestine sorting out the adhesions now.

Just a little on her medical background which causes these adhesions--My sister had intestinal interception and surgical intervention for the same at the age of 11m as a child. Again we had to go for emergency surgery at age of 5.5years due to adhesions. After this she had coped well and resume normal active life over years.Last 20years have been without any problem before it recurred two weeks back.

Since she is only 25 years we want to explore all posibilities to ensure she has normal active life---she is an avid trekker and swimmer and loves outdoors. Please let us know your suggestions to ensure we treat adhesions without bypass surgery of small intestine which seems to be the current option.

Rgds,

I had a surger at age 25 for an adhesion webbing that had attached itself to my intestine from my cyst also on the R side. They did cat scans, colonoscopy, and ultrasounds and only saw the cyst even though I had massive quantities of mucus coming out of me when going to the bathroom. Then they cut me open to find the webbing that had grown from my cyst to intestines. They have no idea what it is or how it got there or why. I was doing good for a few years and now I feel something down there and again nothing is showing up on the ultrasound.
I will let you know what happens further as all tests are also showing normal. Its really frustrating knowing something is growing just like last time and the doctors have no idea. Good luck to you!

hi i was born with early and all i know is that i had a bowel adhesions and small intestine was operated on, in 6th grade had emergency surgery for the same issue bc adhesions (scar tissue) had caused a small intestine bowel obstruction. i now have endometriousi and ovarian cyst, i am in severe pain most the time. more during my cyle, i guess inquiring if the adhesions wouldve came back thanks

I had surgery for a hiatus hernia but it went wrong after 6 attempts to resolve the issue , by this time I had problems with adhesions in the bowel stomach, more or less in the whole abdomen, not only that the surgeon admitted he had made mistakes .I had to go to London to rectify the problem but things went wrong, my internal organs collapsed, part of the bowel was taken out by this surgeon who said I have made a mistake then he laughed and said its a good job I have Insurance . I am now left with no muscle in the abdomen I had a colostomy bag for 2 years, with 2 years on TPN (the other surgeon did not bother with things like vitamins etc) . so at this moment in time I have no abdo wall so I can see my bowel moving and also my bladder , you can feel it working when I empty my bladder I have to press on hard to make sure it empties, what else constant pain cramps, the runs, after eating within 45 mins I go again. It has been advised that surgery is not an option as I will not make it , so when it becomes blocked I suppose my life will end sooner than later . I doubt if I will see my daughter get married , I have 5 fractures in my spine and associated complications due to the mistakes lack of nutrition etc so I am just waiting to die . Not great I am ex Military and served the crown for over 35 years now I can t work.
Ps I am on so much pain killers not just for pain but to ease the runs .