Hi! I am 24 years old and I consider myself a healthy person. Recently though I have some troubles with my digestion. I am bloated all the time and have constipation. I haven’t been to toilet for almost a week. I tried to find out what the cause might be from the internet and I came up with a condition called paralytic ileus. Can that be what causes my problem? What are the causes of paralytic ileus?

What I really don’t understand is why you haven’t gone to the doctor yet if you have been feeling this way for a week! I think that you should do it as soon as possible. The symptoms are similar to paralytic ileus, so you might have it, but there are also many other conditions that have this same symptoms so you cannot be really sure until you see the doctor and be properly diagnosed.

I agree that you should visit your doctor. I have had paralytic ileus and it is a very disturbing condition that must be treated right away. My ileus was caused by an operation I have previously had. So one cause might be abdominal surgery. I also know that some medications can cause it too. Peritonitis, pancreatitis and some bleeding in your gastrointestinal tract might also be the reason. Yet, since you are otherwise healthy I sincerely doubt that you have ileus, it might just be that you ate a lot of dry food. If you can hear your intestines working than you probably just have a bad case of constipation. Nevertheless, visit your doctor.