Hi! My grandmother has recently had an operation. There was something wrong with her stomach and she underwent abdominal surgery. The operation was successful but after two days time she started feeling some abdominal pain again. We first thought that it is normal after the operation but after her stomach got really bloated and she couldn’t go to the toilet anymore my parents complained to the doctor. My mom says she was diagnosed with ileus. What is ileus? Is it serious?

Don’t worry! Ileus is a very common condition in patients who had abdominal surgery performed on them. It usually occurs somewhere between 24 and 72 hours after the operation. It is a temporary condition represented by the absence of any movement of the intestinal wall. Usually constipation, bloating, vomiting and loss of appetite signal that one might have ileus. The doctor then usually takes that person to an X-ray and makes sure what the cause is. It is not dangerous if it is diagnosed on time. The doctor will just help your grandmother empty her stomach and prescribe some diet.

I agree, it is not a serious condition, especially when you know that it is just a consequence of the abdominal surgery your grandmother had. Ileus is an obstruction in the intestinal passage. So the content of the intestines, which is all your grandmother eats, cannot pass through the intestines and builds up in her stomach which can make her vomit sometimes or give her some bad cramps. But, as it has been already said, there are methods that can help her very efficiently.