Just over a month ago I had a sub-total, bilateral thyroidectomy. I displayed no symptoms of thyroid trouble prior to the operation and it was done for purely mechanical reasons, ie, it was constricting my trachea.

Post operatively I am still free of any symptoms of thyroid disease but am wondering if it is safe or essential that i take iodine or calcium supplements?

I think your doctor is the best person to answer this question. You can either ask this again during your next doctor's appointment, or you can phone in your question to the doctor's office. From a personal standpoint, I see no harm in taking iodine or calcium supplements.

When I recieved radioactive iodine treatment to kill my over active thyroid it took about 3 months for my blood test to reveal that I was hypo thyroid.
It would probably be okay to take calcium supplements but I am not too sure about the iodine. I'm afraid taking iodine might throw your future blood test off.
If your thyroid was removed, whether or not it was due to thyroid disease, I still think you will be lacking in thyroid hormone eventually and will have to be on medication to replace what was lost.
Being without any thyroid hormone can play havoc on your body so I think it best to stay away from the iodine for awhile.
Of course the best way to know for sure is to ask your doctor.
If you begin feeling sluggish, cold, have a hard time thinking, gaining weight for no reason, loss of hair or any other symptoms of hypo thyroid be sure to contact your doctor right away so you can have your thyroid functions checked.
Hope this helps.