Hello! I am about to have my thyroid gland removed. AS I don’t stand hospital I would like to know what will happen when I go there. Knowing this, it will be less uncomfortable because then I will know what to expect. Is there anybody who had this operation done?

Hello! I had a total thyroidectomy done 2 years ago. I went to the hospital a few days earlier and was put on ward. There they conducted all sort of tests like pre-op blood test and a routine check on your vocal cords. I was left on my anti-thyroid medication as my thyroid has been over active and was sent home until the day of the op. I was banned from eating and drinking from midnight the night before. The operation took 2 hours. I was in the recovery for the next 4 hours and then returned to the ward. Two days after I was released. The wound was there for quite some time but it gradually faded away. Ok, I had to massage some cold cream into the wound, to help keep it supple. I was supposed to avoid direct sun on the wound for six months after the op. Good luck with your operation!!!!

franc wrote:

[/ quote]hi i had my thyriod removed 2 wks ago, on arrival you will have some simp;e blood test and blood pressure taken. you will be put into your gown and made ready for your opp make sure you have no jewelry on or make up they will ask you about your teeth ie crowns and caps .when all there checks have been done you will be reade to go for your opp. this is usually about 2hours approx when you come round you will have a oxcegen marsk on you will have a blood pressure arm band on your neck will be bandaged and will have a drain in to drain away bloood this is not uncomfortable, and will remain on for at least 24 hours. they will make you comfortable with pain relief and calcium tablets the fist 24 hours are quite uncomfortable but i was amazed how quikly things became so much better especialy when the drain came out, the scar was ouite shocking at first sight but belive me day by day the improvment is incredible. i feel great been back to the gym even! so far so good .. SO PLEASE DONT BE TO WORRIED FOR ME ITS THE BEST THING IVE DONE SO GOOD LOOK

I had a complete thyroidectomy about three years ago, and have found of late that even one drink of wine or a cocktail has unpleasant .stomach effects the next day. I am a light social drinker (maybe 3 drinks a week). Is this common in post thyroidectomy patients?