Do you have an irrational fear. One that makes no sense in the real world. For example, are you afraid of some inanimate object? I am, but I will never say what it is. In the rational world, this thing could never hurt me, because it is a non-living thing. I am afraid to see a therapist about it because he/she would probably have to use the object to help me overcome my fears. This is the only thing that can take me to an out of control, emotional place. I made the mistake of telling a "friend" of mine in high school about it and she brought the object to school. I went into a rage of fear and ran out of the school. They thought it was funny, but I was traumatized. Do you have any fears like this?

I think a lot of people have fears like this. I have had a couple fears like it but I decided to actually confront it and it's really incredible how things change for you once you do actually confront it. It's scary at first of course but then you never fear it again, and it's really empowering. Maybe you might consider trying to confront it? A therapist would only move at the pace you felt comfortable with.

Hi, didn't have any fears like this, but I totally understand you. I had a friend when I was younger, he was afraid of a closet in his room. And in first his parents had to move it out of his room. There is no other way that he could sleep in his room. After that they took him to see therapist. And after some time, closet is back in the room. :-)
I have to agree with healtandfitnessguy, therapist will only fallow your instructions and he will move at your pace.
Does anybody has any experience in this matter? Has anybody seen a therapist to confront this fear?

I fear that something will happen to one of my 5 children. They are all on the road now and 2 of them have the damn specialty cars. Low riders with hydralics. I hate it. But i am releived to say that my 20 years old is going to be selling hers and wants a "big girl" car as he calls it.
I have to make sure that they are all where they are supposed to be at the end of the day, and if my phone rings after 9 p.m. i get jumpy. If i don't talk to each one of them daily, i can't cope until i do. Weird, right???

I know that you are right. However, if you think of what would frighten you most in the world to the point that you would lose your mind if it came near you or if you were locked in a box with it. That's only a fraction of the depth of my fear of this object. I would rather be locked in a coffin with a dead person than with this object. I know it's weird, but it's true. If I am under a good amount of "normal" stress, I start to dream about this object and I wake up frightened. I will think about the therapy thing. It would be just my luck to get some wacko who uses unconventional methods. Then they'd call the men in the white jackets to remove me from the office and take me to a "hospital." LOL PS: I really do appreciate your advice.

Well I have heard that they have bean cases where people get frighten so much that their hair goes white in an instance. I'm not sure is this possible? I've only heard of this and had no personal experience.
Well inform your self of therapist that you are going to. So you can avoid white jackets. Just kidding :-)
But you should see someone about this, you have a problem with this object and it will not go away that easy.

You are right. It is a constant underlying, i.e. when I go to someone's home or when I receive a gift from someone. It sounds so crazy that even my close friends don't know about it. That's why I really appreciate the responses that I am getting here. Maybe one of them will convince me to see someone. I know that I've got to take care of it. Now I'm really considering it. I hope that people will continue to encourage me that way. I'll will keep listening here. Thanks everyone.

I had when i was young, an irrational fear of train tracks. I kept getting the unnerving feeling of wanting to jump onto them and electrocute my self. Saw a therapist and now i don't really have the problem anymore (apart from the usual urge to step in front of cars) :-)

You have changed train tracks for front of the car. :-) Your therapist did a nice job. :-) Just kidding. It is good that your therapy has helped you.
Now seriously, dsdesk you really seem like normal and strong person, who has open mind and see thing like they are (except this object). There is no need to live in fear, and sooner you confront this sooner you will be free of this fear. Why wouldn't you just go for one session and see how that goes. If you don't like it, try to find another therapist.

LOL...You are right dark_red. I am a normal woman in every other way, (as far as is possible in this world - kidding). That's what is soooo irrational about my fear. It makes NO sense. I laughed when I read your post because, as I read your advise, I am really laughing at myself somehow. If it weren't so pitiful, I guess my fear would be funny.....But it's not, it is SCARY. Like I said in my last post, I am going to check out my options. So, if you read in the paper that a seemingly normal woman has attacked her therapist out of fear over an inanimate object, you'll know it was me. LOL o.O

Well if this happens I'm sure it will hit the hews. :-)
Well it can happen to anybody, you might have had a tragedy with this object and it left a mark on you deep. See Ian had a problem and he got rid of it. You can easily do the same.
Consider these options, and tell us if your therapist has survived. :-)

Swallowing Pills, Having my car stall and door jam on the train tracks while a train is coming, and not having time to get out.

Wow car stopped and door jam. If you are crossing railroad many times a day, that I just can't imagine how you feel every time you do this. Have you tried going to a therapist? If you did what was the result?