I have big problem since my mom died. I found her dead in our house and ever since I am terrified of dying. Even if someone starts coughing I think they are going to drop dead. Does anyone have any advice on how to get over these fears and thoughts that someone is going to drop dead in front of me?

Seeing someone dead is terrifying especially someone you care about. It happened to me with my dad, same situation. I know that it’s inevitable that someone in my life is going to die someday and I am terrified. I live in fear whenever someone around me makes any strange sound. I am not depressed I have a wonderful son and great girlfriend, but I can't shake this fear.

Celebrity
What I have learned in my battles with anxiety is that the problem is the inaccurate way you are processing your thoughts and that is what is causing the anxiety. Once you learn to think more objectively/realistically about these things the anxiety will go away. There are ten main thinking errors that people make which cause most anxiety and once you learn to identify the errors in your thoughts and counter them you will feel much better. Prior to learning how to counter my thoughts in a tea form in my cbt group I was in and out of therapy and on medications but I have been med and for the most part anxiety free since I finished my cbt group. I hope this is helpful.

I feel that way also. I fear everyday that something bad is going to happen to someone I love, especially my boyfriend. I don't even want him to do things because I am afraid he might get hurt or die. It's exhausting really, but I don't know how not to worry about it.

I try to look at it this way,

We are all born onto this planet and will eventually pass on from this reality. Regardless if you are religious or not, black or white, male or female. Everyone, eventually has an end. Its hard to take in because you are so used to being alive. Death is the greatest unknown. No one knows for sure what is on the other side and this scares alot of people. Finding a loved one who has passed on is a very traumatizing event to put an unready mind through, infact the first time you see a dead body you will never be ready. Come to terms with yourselves and take a day to sit down and think about it. Just think. Rationalize and run over your fears in your head. The more you do so the more you'll realize how irrational they can be. Especially holding back another loved one from activites out of fear they will die on you. Life is something to behold. Not fear. Don't let the idea of death get in the way of how you live your life. We're here for a certain ammount of time. Enjoy it to the best of your intentions. Try not to let your mind worry about death so much. Its not worth it. And if it does your mind comfort. Maybe religion is something for you.

I would strongly suggest a psychiatrist visit to see what they say, i know... no one likes going to see a 'shrink' but it can be very beneficial to have someone you can go in and just talk to. Talking is a very modern form of 'healing' per-say and can really help you cope and get over your fears. A group like mentioned above can also be very beneficial.

Celebrity
That's what the tea form exercise teaches you to do, not worry so much. It teaches you how to let things go that do not matter and deal with what does. Cbt has been a lifesaver for me and I think it would help you if you ereally want to get better and eliminate all of your irrational worries. If you are self motivated read the book by sam obitz and do the tea form exercise everyday. Good luck!

I am looking this up right now because for the last week this fear has magnified 100 percent I have panic attacks thinking about the fact that I am eventually going to die and that is the end.... forever.... I wish I believed that we would go to heaven and be with the ones we love. But I can't. I remember crying at night as a little girl to my dad who would tell me "honey you have 70 or 80 years to worry about this.... Why is it so irrational now? I don't even want to take a shower anymore because if I am by myself my thoughts go directly to these thoughts? Do I have an anxiety disorder? Why does it just pop up in my head? I dont want these thoughts I know I am gonna die... But why do I have to live my life in fear of it? o.O o.O